he Westfly Bulletin Board is and always has been mostly self-regulating. There is more freedom here than on many boards. However, there are some guidelines about posting, and consistent violators of those guidelines will warned once, then terminated if they continue to offend.
- At all times, keep in mind the purpose of the Westfly Board:
--To build a sense of community among Western fly anglers (community--"interaction around a core of values and interests.")
--To share information, thoughts, experiences feelings, and ideas related to fly fishing
--To help others learn
- Members of the Westfly community are often interested in each other's health, job, and family, even if they've never met face-to-face. So sometimes non-fly-fishing (Off-Topic or "OT") threads are appropriate on a "state" Board. Just use good judgment before starting one. And use patience and restraint if you see a thread that is not a fly-fishing related.
- If you don't like a thread or a post, don't feel obligated to tell the world about your dislike. Just don't read it.
- Westfly is NOT a place to complain or rant endlessly and anonymously about subjects only you care about. Think "community" and think "positive".
- Political discussions belong on the Off-Topic Board. The exception is conservation-related issues that relate to a particular state. Those issues may be discussed on the state's Board as long as the tone of the posts is helpful and factual, not accusatory or derogatory. The tenor of the Off-Topic Board is often NOT appropriate on any other Board.
- Do not use other Boards as a vehicle for referencing threads on the Off-Topic Board.
- It is legitimate to post your true feelings about a commercial product or service related to fly fishing. However, if you do so, you should stick to the facts--and make sure they ARE facts--and keep your emotions toned down, especially if your post is of a negative nature. Westfly is not a vehicle for those who wish to run-down or defame their personal enemies or someone on their hit-list. If you have a complaint, you must include your entire real name in the post. Keep in mind the basic test for libel: is it untrue? Did the writer know it was untrue?
- Inflammatory posts and statements are not allowed. If the tenor of your posts is such that you are getting strong negative reactions from a substantial number of people, then you need to rethink the nature of your posts.
- It is NEVER acceptable to attack a person in a post. If you disagree with a statement or action, you may express you disagreement with that statement or action, but don't attack the person.
- Westflyers react strongly against any whisper of self-promotion. Therefore be careful in your posts. Repeated posts that state what wonderful fishing you have had (when everyone else was not) are going to generate suspicions that the poster is on an ego-trip, not a fishing trip. That may not be the case, but nevertheless it is better to err on the side of humility.
- Sooner or later someone is going to say something that you take offense at. If so, please don't react in an emotional and public way that only makes the situation worse.
- Don't start or respond to "flame wars." If you feel you've been flamed or treated unfairly, send an email to email@example.com. And don't respond to the flame war.
- No rude language is allowed. The Board software automatically replaces some coarse language with asterisks, but not all situations are handled. Coarse language--either explicit or implied, with or without asterisks--in a post title will result in the post being deleted or the title edited. The same goes for photos.
- Name-calling, ethnic slurs, and other derogatory or inflammatory posts or language will not be tolerated.
- Off-color comments or references are not appropriate.
- While most Westflyers are adult males, keep in mind that some users are women and some may be children. Try to keep you posts "clean".
- Bear in mind that even with smilies and emoticons, it can difficult to tell the difference between someone who is writing in a satirical or humorous vein, or with a dry wit, and someone who is a wacko. Give the poster the benefit of the doubt and assume they are writing ironically. The simple question "you're kidding, right?" is better than the assumptive "you're nuts!?"
- If you use the Westfly Board to organize an activity, it is YOUR activity and NOT a Westfly activity. It is YOUR responsibility--and liability. Similarly, if you participate in an activity that you heard about on the Westfly Board, Westfly, Inc., did NOT sponsor it and is not responsible for the results--good or bad.
- Westfly may edit, move, or delete off-topic or inappropriate threads and or posts.
- Do not advertise or promote a commercial product or service. If you have something that falls in a gray area and aren't sure, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be considered.
- Don't make posts under a false name or impersonate someone else.
- Do not infringe any person's, publisher's, or website's copyright.
- If someone sends you a "private message," it is not appropriate to then post that private message in a public forum.
- Westfly is not responsible for the content of other websites that might be referenced in a post on the Westfly Board.
It's appropriate for the Board to be self-policing, if it's done in a polite and helpful manner. But at the same time, please report any questionable activities or violations of these guidelines to email@example.com
Rate This Article
5=tops 3=average 1=low
You must be registered and logged-in to rate an article. How to do this.
Average rating 4.875 by 8 users