HOOK: Dai Riki 300, size 6-10
TAILS: Dark moose or dun-dyed grizzly stripped hackle stem
RIBBING: Olive thread
BODY: Cream dubbing, covered with cream deer hair
WING: Mixed dun and white antron, barred with permanent marker (optional)
THORAX: Olive and cream deer hair, dubbed with figure-8 wraps
Imitates the spinner stage of a large mayfly. This pattern uses deer hair dubbing; see Deer Hair Dubbing--The Sequel.
Vary body color to match other mayflies. Dubbed deer hair emergers are suitable for flies that are size 14 and larger.
How to Fish
Use standard dry fly presentations.
1. De-barb hook, insert in vise, and start thread.
2. Tie in three tails and secure them into place.
3. Tie in deer hair and dub body from front to back so your thread ends up at the back of the body.
4. Pull deer hair over the top, rib fly with olive thread.
5. Tie in wings, secure with figure-8 wraps.
6. Mix deer hair and dub in figure-8 wraps.
7. Whip-finish and trim thread.