Tan CDC Czech Nymph
A general purpose nymph that is also an excellent imitation of spotted caddis larvae and and scuds. The CDC captures a nice bubble of air under the fly, and the body looks incredibly buggy. This fly is a perfect imitation of spotted caddis (Hydropsyche) larvae.
Vary the color to match nymphs and larvae in the area you are fishing. Good colors include tan, brown, olive, and caddis green.
How to Fish
Use tight line nymphing tactics.
1. Slip brass bead onto hook
2. Start thread and tie in Thinskin and monofilament
3. Dub thin abdomen
4. Pull shellback over abdomen and tie in place--DO NOT trim.
5. Wrap 5-7 wraps of monofilament for ribbing. Tie off and trim.
6. Tie in gray CDC feather with tips even with hook point.
7. Dub fox squirrel thorax. Dub loosely for "spiked" effect.
8. Pull Thinskin over thorax, tie off and trim.
9. Whip finish and trim excess.