logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Recent Feature Articles

Review: The Oddballs In this short book, Jeff Morgan takes you on a tour of unusual trout foods and their imitations. Includes an audio interview with Jeff. Reviewed by Scott Richmond 

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Recent Feature Articles

Review: The Oddballs In this short book, Jeff Morgan takes you on a tour of unusual trout foods and their imitations. Includes an audio interview with Jeff. Reviewed by Scott Richmond 

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

Topic Options
#324427 - 04/07/06 11:17 PM Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Thebone54
I am trying to find a good and usable plan for building a fly tying bench (portable) I want to be able to easily move it. Something that could sit on the kitchen table while I am doing my tying. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#324428 - 04/14/06 09:24 AM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Roadkill
I don't have any plans but maybe a couple of pics will help! I have made these portable tying stations in various sizes depending on the materials laying around my shop. My 1st one went into use on a hassock in front of my easy chair for many years until it was to small to hold the ever growing pile of fur and feathers. The basic design is the table surrounded on 3 sides by @ 2" stock with the center vise arm (for C clamp vises) made out of the same. I drill a number of 1/4" holes in the stock to hold feathers, tools, and dowels for spools.
I have used this design for a number of years and find it convenient to move by picking up by the center arm, materials and all.

I also add magnetic tape to the sides of the arm for holding hooks and flies to dry.

This is a simple model with the parts just glued and screwed together. They could also be blind dowelled or put together with recessed and plugged screws.

Toward the back of the vise arm I drill a larger hole to fit a swing arm light. On some I have put in some other larger holes to hold pliers, scissors, etc.

I hope this will help give you some ideas for your portable fly factory. Happy feather bending!

#324429 - 04/14/06 10:38 AM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Thebone54
Thanks Roadkill

This is exactly what I am looking for. You have a great looking tying bench that looks real easy to put together. Thanks again now I have to head out to the shop and get cutting and pounding.

Dave

#324430 - 04/14/06 12:53 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
BjR
What does the arm up the middle do? Is that where you mount your vise?
BjR

#324431 - 04/14/06 06:10 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Roadkill
I mount my vise near the front of the center arm.

It will accomodate a left or right handed tyer. I like to have materials sorted out on either side of my vise as I work. I also like to adjust my vise up fairly high so it is close to eye level. It helps to relieve strain if you tie for a long period. It also helps to bring it out forward of the table edge.

#324432 - 04/15/06 03:23 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Bascoe
If you do a search you will find some beauties Paul Dieter built as well as a few others. It's been a year or 2 ago. Tim

#324433 - 04/17/06 11:04 AM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
blackbuzzer
great bench idea, fairly handy with the oul timber myself and was also looking for a portable
bench, now i found one, i'm goin straight to work on this.

love the magnetic tape idea, very handy

#324434 - 04/18/06 09:37 AM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
PDXSteelhead
Here's the one I just built.

I made it for all of $15 of materials and has been working great.

Now get out there and catch some fish!

#324435 - 04/18/06 03:37 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Thebone54
This is a great looking bench and it looks very usable. I noticed the material still in the bags on the back piece and was wondering if you keep them this way or put them into containers?

#324436 - 04/19/06 07:36 AM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
PDXSteelhead
I've been keeping stuff like dubbing and scud backs in the bag. It keeps them out of the way.

#324437 - 04/19/06 12:32 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Capt'n Insano
cool, set-up...I went a more complicated and HEAVY route...and a bit historic-I purposely distressed the finish to make it look old and battered...

[/IMG]

based on this article from a late 70's Flyfisher mag...
[/IMG]

#324438 - 04/19/06 01:56 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
PDXSteelhead
Looks like I've got a new project. I like that case.

#324439 - 04/19/06 05:22 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
Capt'n Insano
If you have a table saw you're good to go...I made the little hook drawers and dubbing boxes out of 1/8 " plexi...you could get scrap by the lb. at Laird Plastics-2718 ne Raymond in the industrial area off McLoughlin-turn on Holgate(Pdx)to hold the dubbing boxes in I glued 1/2"cubes of plex that I tapped to accomodate a 1/4"X20 black allenhead sockethead machine screw-fasten through the outside of the box side to keep it in place.

-the drawers are finger jointed and made of tennesee red cedar/box and drawer faces are made from reclaimed walnut shelving-recycling center on Mississippi Ave...(Pdx)The drawer pulls I made from half circles of leather cyno acrylic and brass escutcheon pins

I went so far as to find an old leather luggage handle at Hippo hardware...it was fun creating an artifact...I tweaked the dimensions given in the article...to suit me.

#324440 - 04/21/06 04:11 PM Re: Plans for a Fly Tying Bench
blackbuzzer
WOW WHAT A BOX.

good job, i'd say it took you a while.

Moderator:  Uncle Fuzzy 

ABOUT WESTFLY

Westfly is a non-profit corporation and the leading website for western fly anglers.

More About Westfly

Contact Us

Site Map

Donating to Westfly

List of Advertisers

How to Advertise

Advertising Policy

SPECIAL SERVICES

Publicizing events in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

Customized river and fishing report tables for Idaho, Montana Oregon, Washington.

Customized daily emails of river conditons, new articles, classified ads, etc. Start, change, or cancel.

Classified ads