logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Recent Feature Articles

Destinations: Cuba, Anyone? Cuba is not a destination many American anglers think about. Perhaps they should think again! Learn about fly fishing in Cuba in this audio interview. Audio, 8:55 by Scott Richmond 

Review: The Oddballs In this short book, Jeff Morgan takes you on a tour of unusual trout foods and their imitations. Includes an audio interview with Jeff. Reviewed by Scott Richmond 

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#598513 - 02/22/10 10:32 AM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: Huck]
~JZ~
(1) Fly Formerly Known as Prince
(2) Golden Stone
(3) PT
(4) Poor Man's Copper John, Brown or Red (thread body instead of wire, suuuper easy)

that's it.

"I didn't choose the cyber-thug life, the cyber-thug life chose me."

#598522 - 02/22/10 12:22 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: ~JZ~]
Jonny
1) Gnarly caddis larva
2) K-Stone
3) Prince
4) Hares Ear
5) Egg patterns

I usually just use the first and last of these when nymphing these days. After seeing 2 trout rise yesterday I am very eager to get started on casting some dries. Enough of this weighted nonsense.

#598541 - 02/22/10 04:02 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: Jonny]
Caddisman
Cake Fly and its variants:
-Chocolate (tied with mink or brown hare's mask)
-Lemon (yellow thread)
-Pound (this one's weighted)
-Carrot (orange thread)
-Angel (winged)
-Cup Cake with Icing (size 14 and under, with flashback)

Bill (sorry, guess that's more than 5)

#598576 - 02/22/10 07:55 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: Caddisman]
Mr. Muddler
I have noticed that a lot of people are throwing the green rock worm out there, I personally have spent very little time with this fly at the end of my line. When is it used most, is this a pattern best suited for spring time?

#598588 - 02/22/10 09:37 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: Mr. Muddler]
metoliusfly
Well, this is a fairly easy list for me. I tend to stick to the same patterns underwater.

-Big honkin black stone (or girdle bug)
-Hares Ear
-Sparkle Pupa
-Wooley Bugger olive/black
-Pheasant Tail
-Serendipity

Bill, I have been playing with some Cake recently, gotta say that pattern is really versatile. It would be #7 on my list, could go higher though because you just gave me some great new ideas. How about some Red Velvet Cake?

Toyota diesel guru

#598606 - 02/23/10 08:00 AM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: Mr. Muddler]
50back
Mr. Muddler -

mostly I use a dry line, about 6-7 foot leader to a black stonefly nymph, then about 18-24 inches of leader off from the hook bend - tie on a green rock worm. er, Forgot the lilCorky toothpick pegged strike indicator 3-5 feet above the black stone nymph.

During the salmonfly hatch, a green rock worm dropper off the hook bend of a dry stonefly pattern can work very well. Stonefly dry kinda like a strike indicator.

And thanks to you, I have tied up a few various muddlers to use for both springtime trout and fall steelhead on the Deschutes.

#598713 - 02/23/10 09:39 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: duckfly]
FishonDon
One more I almost forgot:
Twist nymph otherwise known as the Double Magic invented by Gary Lafontaine. Wow, does it work!

#598818 - 02/24/10 06:47 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: FishonDon]
Mr. Muddler
I tied various copper john colors and sizes today and will test tomorrow on the local toutskies.

#598819 - 02/24/10 06:54 PM Re: Your Top 5 Nymphs... Whats in your box? [Re: Mr. Muddler]
santiamflyguy™
I fish a lot of green rock worms under dry droppers in the summer. Fish other than trout like them too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

ABOUT WESTFLY

Westfly is a non-profit corporation and the leading website for western fly anglers.

More About Westfly

Contact Us

Site Map

Donating to Westfly

List of Advertisers

How to Advertise

Advertising Policy

SPECIAL SERVICES

Publicizing events in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

Customized river and fishing report tables for Idaho, Montana Oregon, Washington.

Customized daily emails of river conditons, new articles, classified ads, etc. Start, change, or cancel.

Classified ads