logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Recent Feature Articles

Steelhead Tactics: Spey Casting for Noobs Wondering whether to get into spey casting or not? Always wanted to catch a steelhead but the fish is proving elusive? Here's some tips and real-life experience about getting started. by Scott Richmond 

Review: Fall Run Vest from Simms If you live in Westfly Land, you need a vest! Simms has a dandy. Reviewed by Scott Richmond 

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#718899 - 04/26/13 08:12 AM John Day or other kid friendly suggestions?
john montana
My wife is out of town next week, so I was thinking of taking the kids out for an adventure. Thought was to drive around a bit, stay in hotels where they can swim and do a little fishing. Is the John Day fishable (safely) now from the bank? Anyone been out that way?

Any other suggestions for kid friendly stuff in warm(ish) weather? Thought about the crooked as well, but was hoping for bass (fish are hardier and the kids can handle 'em a bit without an issue).

Thanks!

#718901 - 04/26/13 08:41 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: john montana]
Patrick
No first hand knowledge of the JD this time of year but doubt it would be as productive as the trip you made last year. Do you have a boat? I am hoping to get a hall pass to look for bass on LBC with the kids next weekend. Doubt the younger 2 will want to go but the plan would be to canoe up the Crooked arm and explore the mouth of the river.

#718908 - 04/26/13 09:21 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Patrick]
C-O Trout Slayer
the majority of the lakes are opening this weekend or are all ready opened in Central Oregon... just a thought...

Fresh Clean Water Today Will Be The Gold of the Future.

~ snaps, rips n dips ~

#718918 - 04/26/13 11:22 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: C-O Trout Slayer]
john montana
No boat Patrick...I want to keep it pretty gear light if i can. My kids love to fish, but half the fun will be a hotel swimming pool if I do it right!

#718939 - 04/26/13 05:53 PM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: john montana]
Hawkeye
John,
Maybe try the Crooked River...it is fishing well, not to hard to wade (really don't need to wade). Great campground and Prineville is nearby with hotels but not sure of pools. Or come down to Mecca area on D swim at the gorgeous city pool in Madras and stay at hotel

Ben

#718941 - 04/26/13 08:04 PM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Hawkeye]
redhawk50
Check the gauge for the John Day. I went Memorial Day couple years back and it was chocolate milk. Used to live near Clarno and fished it regularly with success, but that Memorial Day I had to work hard for the few I caught. I was used to 10+ fish in an hour during a quick fishing session. I was at Service Creek area that weekend. Dying to go back and float it with my fly rod someday, only floated it with 12 high school kids and I didn't feel fishing was the responsible thing to do. Don't know if that helps.

#718944 - 04/26/13 08:31 PM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: redhawk50]
adamshatch
Best Western in Prineville has a pool!

adam

#719010 - 04/28/13 11:43 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: adamshatch]
john montana
Thanks guys. I was really hoping the John day would be an option. I will think about the crooked. I like bass for the kids as they are tougher and the kids can so it themselves more. I like them to unhook and release etc. might just go back and do more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDl2vsI1PU

#719023 - 04/28/13 10:05 PM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: john montana]
redhawk50
Ah save the John Day for a late June weekend and float it from Service Creek to Clarno. Easy river section, good camping, warm weather, good swimming and fishing. Only bad is rattlers but they usually let ya know they are there.

#719025 - 04/29/13 07:47 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: redhawk50]
Doublebluff
What about a place to just hike around and catch smallmouth on the John Day? I've never been there. Gimme the name of a good place to park my car and walk.

#719043 - 04/29/13 11:13 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Doublebluff]
Patrick
Just watched the vid. I thought you said those beasts were spooky! Almost pulled her in - too funny.

#719044 - 04/29/13 11:29 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Patrick]
john montana
Yeah, all bets are off when they spawn...you can walk right up to them when they have other things on their mind!

#719048 - 04/29/13 12:31 PM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Doublebluff]
Tyro
Originally Posted By: doublebluff
What about a place to just hike around and catch smallmouth on the John Day? I've never been there. Gimme the name of a good place to park my car and walk.

The two that come to my mind are LePage and JS Burres parks. Cottonwood Canyon park may be functional later on this year.

#719086 - 04/29/13 06:09 PM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Tyro]
redhawk50
Further up, Service Creek has camping and lot of area to fish all along the road to Spray. Clarno is alright for a couple hours by the bridge. There is other access around Clarno but to know what is public and what is not is somewhat hard to distinguish. I never fish at Twickingham, but again there is access. There are also a few drive in BLM sites along the river, just bring your own toilet.

#719213 - 05/02/13 08:27 AM Re: John Day or other kid friendly suggestions? [Re: Doublebluff]
NWFloridian
You might try the Umpqua John. It's a big river, but there are many backwater "pond" type areas that are perfect for kids to wade around and catch a ton of pre-spawn smallmouth. Most are pretty small, but there are quite a few bigger spawners around this time of year. Anywhere from Elkton on up should work. PM me if you want some more specifics. You can always get a hotel room in Roseburg and drive the 30 mins or so to the river. The Big K Guest Ranch also has some private water and accommodations. Don't know about a pool though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ABOUT WESTFLY

Westfly is a non-profit corporation and the leading website for western fly anglers.

More About Westfly

Contact Us

Site Map

Donating to Westfly

List of Advertisers

How to Advertise

Advertising Policy

SPECIAL SERVICES

Publicizing events in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

Customized river and fishing report tables for Idaho, Montana Oregon, Washington.

Customized daily emails of river conditons, new articles, classified ads, etc. Start, change, or cancel.

Classified ads