logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#722655 - 07/27/13 12:41 AM Who is the best guitarist of all time?
Dorylf

So, there's really no "right" answer to this, I suppose, when you consider the different music genres, styles, etc. But I'm interested in what y'all have to say.

And, maybe while we're sharing, how about your favorite guitar riff, song, and artist.

For me, it's near impossible to pick a best guitarist. Eddie VanHalen and Stevie Ray Vaughan are a couple of favorites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP0vzZk8Olg

Riff could be from Oye Como Va, by Santana.

What tops those do you think?

Phil

Edited by Dorylf (07/29/13 12:14 AM)
Edit Reason: add content

Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life
--Rancid Crabtree

#722656 - 07/27/13 12:45 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: Dorylf]
whitefish ed
Originally Posted By: Dorylf
What tops those do you think?

roy clark

#722657 - 07/27/13 12:50 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: whitefish ed]
Dorylf

oldbiggrin2

Pickin' and grinnin' all the way.

Edited by Dorylf (07/27/13 08:26 AM)

#722664 - 07/27/13 08:35 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: Dorylf]
~JZ~
Stevie Ray Vaughan or Clapton.

"I didn't choose the cyber-thug life, the cyber-thug life chose me."

#722667 - 07/27/13 09:29 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: ~JZ~]
Redbone
one vote for Joe Bonnamassa

#722670 - 07/27/13 09:47 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: Redbone]
Pilotfly
One vote for Mark Knopfler

Telegraph Road just blows me away everytime I hear it. This is just the last portion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOcaLof1Yk

Here is Telegraph Road in it's entirety with Mark really showing his talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8sLmx2Oz6Y

Edited by Pilotfly (07/27/13 09:56 AM)

#722671 - 07/27/13 10:03 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: Pilotfly]
whitefish ed
billy gibbons - zz top

#722675 - 07/27/13 11:13 AM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: whitefish ed]
Bob W
Great topic and you're right, it just depends on what kind of music you like. My favorite guitarist of all time is Pete Townshend, but he's by no means the BEST one.

I often think about this topic. Now, there are a thousand guitarists, no exaggeration, just in Chicago, where I now live, who are technically better than Hendrix, Clapton, whoever you'd choose to name. That technical ability is, however, not the be-all and end-all. I think there are several categories that you could assign a number to, then add them up for a sorta-kinda objective look:
1 Technical ability, mentioned above
2 Is their sound unique? Do they bring something different to the instrument?
3 Influence - how much of their work do you hear in subsequent guitarists' work?
4 Songwriting skills - without this, you'll still be playing in your parents' basement.
5 Ambition. No doubt, an ambitious guitarist can make up for some amount of lack of premium talent to get ahead and get heard.
6 Band - again, if your band isn't competent, if you cannot attract talent, you'll be playing in pubs your entire career.
7 I'm sure I'm missing some important categories. Feel free to add to this.

Given that, I think the best guitarist of all time, in no particular order, are:

Jimmy Page: The single most influential rock guitarist of all time, solid band, great hooks/songwriting skills, etc

Eddie Van Halen: How many guitarists since '77 have used the hammer technique he made popular? Just about every one. Solid band, pop hooks, yeah.

Pete Townshend. Ability is second rate, but the best rhythm guitarist ever, sorry Keef. Arguably the best band ever behind him, and until the mid 70's, great ear for writing skills.

Hendrix - 'Nuff Said. Who knows what he'd have evolved into if he'd lived a long life.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - when I think of White Boy Blues, I think of him, not Clapton.

A few I've left out:
Clapton. I know he's very influential, but I despise everything he's done since Cream broke up. That included Derek and the Dominoes, etc. Just never really liked him. I always like Alvin Lee's or Rory Gallagher's blues better.
Beck. Great guitarist, no doubt, but just not as influential as others, never wrote the songs that make people hum them 40 years later.
Dave Davies, who invented heavy metal with one riff (bonus points if you can name it - I bet many of you can!). Influential, but under the radar mostly, and not the greatest technician. I just wanted to call him out here.
And 1,000 more.

Many more come to mind, but I'll keep this under one volume. I love rock and roll. My friends say I have an encyclopedic memory or rock and roll, but compared to some (Capt'n Insano, for one), I'm a neophyte.

#722677 - 07/27/13 12:49 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: Bob W]
FinLuver
Narciso Yepes - Concierto de Aranjuez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwceLlaODM

ENJOY

#722679 - 07/27/13 01:28 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: FinLuver]
Bob W
Yeah, but can he play "Louie Louie?"

Seriously, some stellar guitar work. Very interesting guitar, too.

#722682 - 07/27/13 02:26 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: Bob W]
SilverFly
Holy carp! I was going to say it almost has to be a Spanish guitarist most Americans (including me) have never heard of.

I'll have to ask a musician friend who is into Latin music about Mr. Yepes and that odd looking guitar. He's pretty good himself and his Dad is a well known finger-style guitarist. Ironically, we just missed seeing him when we were in Tennesse 2 weeks ago when he performed at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society in Nashville.

"Best" is still highly subjective, and will be interesting to see who else pops up.

#722683 - 07/27/13 03:59 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: SilverFly]
Canuck from KS
Speeking of guitar players, we lost one of the greats today. JJ Cale played with an understated virtuosity, loved the way he played.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/27/showbiz/jj-cale-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Other Greats on my list:

Ali Farka Toure - maybe the best ever out of Arica (Mali to be more precise)

Bruce Cockburn - until you have really listened, I don't think you realize how good this guy is.

Hendrix - of course

SRV - of course

Duane Allman - Incridible on the slide

Mark Knopfler - I too love the way he plays. There is an ease and grace, nothing super flashy

cheers

#722684 - 07/27/13 03:59 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: SilverFly]
~JZ~
Something I think is missing from the above list, and most important (IMHO) in a subject such as this, is DIVERSITY. That's Clapton. Another in that category is Trey Anastasio (will probably get crushed by the misinformed for that one).

Honestly, a guy that I routinely say is the best guitarist I'VE ever seen live is Jon Neufeld from Portland bluegrass band Jackstraw. Guy absolutely RIPS an acoustic guitar with seemingly less effort than anyone I've ever seen.

"I didn't choose the cyber-thug life, the cyber-thug life chose me."

#722685 - 07/27/13 04:07 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: ~JZ~]
whitefish ed
Originally Posted By: ~JZ~
Something I think is missing from the above list, and most important (IMHO) in a subject such as this,

now dont fret and get strung out...

(sorry JZ..just couldnt help myself...again.)

*strums outta here*

#722686 - 07/27/13 04:27 PM Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time? [Re: whitefish ed]
soxfan
Well you guys have covered most of my favorites, but here's three others that make my listů

Django Reinhardt
Tom Morello
Kirk Hammett/Dave Mustaine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dorylf, EJ, TigerDak, Uncle Fuzzy 

ABOUT WESTFLY

Westfly is a non-profit corporation and the leading website for western fly anglers.

More About Westfly

Contact Us

Site Map

Donating to Westfly

List of Advertisers

How to Advertise

Advertising Policy

SPECIAL SERVICES

Publicizing events in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

Customized river and fishing report tables for Idaho, Montana Oregon, Washington.

Customized daily emails of river conditons, new articles, classified ads, etc. Start, change, or cancel.

Classified ads