logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Recent Feature Articles

Tactics: Hangout and Hangdown for More Steelhead Many steelheaders omit or shortchange one of the most important aspects of their presentation. by Scott Richmond 

Tactics: Fly Fishing a New Place Going to a new river or lake? Follow these seven simple rules and you will increase your happiness and your success! by Scott Richmond 

Catherine Creek Restoration Project Catherine Creek, a tributary of the Grande Ronde River, is a small stream. However it is vital to salmon/steelhead recovery in the Snake River Basin. With help from Westfly, Western Rivers Conservancy has acquired a key piece of land surrounding Cath by Scott Richmond 

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#725162 - 09/23/13 04:24 PM Spey Reel
PhilR
I need a reel for my 6/7 spey rod. I'm looking at the Lamson Konic II and the Echo Ion. I like the idea of the sealed drag and wide arbor on the Konic, but I also like the idea of saving $70 with the Ion. From a gut feel, I like the way the Konic looks, and don't care for the looks of Ion.

Anybody have either of these reels? Love 'em or hate 'em?

Thanks.

#725166 - 09/23/13 04:37 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: PhilR]
d a n
I have the original Konic 4.0 on my spey and I love it...for the most part. I did have the spool come off and fall in the river in the middle of fighting a steelhead once. I was able to recover the spool and miraculously land the fish. This was an isolated incident among many, many outings. It may have been my own human error.

If you want to go really cheap, try this one:
http://bit.ly/16CPqj8

I picked a few of these up as backups and have landed some very nice fish without problems. The reel is aluminum, not plastic, and is the best $30 reel I've ever seen.

Dan

#725172 - 09/23/13 05:23 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: d a n]
tlambert
I have two Konic II reels, extremely smooth drag. Love them

Edited by tlambert (09/23/13 05:23 PM)

#725180 - 09/23/13 07:56 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: tlambert]
KillerDave
I have never seen a Lamson not break. Just bad luck I guess???

#725185 - 09/23/13 09:27 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: KillerDave]
©larkman
Originally Posted By: KillerDave
I have never seen a Lamson not break.

and I've never seen a Pflueger break.

#725189 - 09/23/13 09:48 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: ©larkman]
troutsniffer
I'm sort of a cheap reel fanatic and I own both of these reels. Real world testing on steelhead and salmon has given me a strong opinion here.

* Echo Ion - Terrible reel in my opinion. It was squeaky out of the box, lots of cheap plastic, and I find the drag to be terribly clunky when a fish starts its run back toward the ocean. It sort of jerks to a start. It also has a tendency to backspin when the drag is loose.

* Lamson Konic - 100% awesome. Butter smooth drag, nice weight for my needs (a tad light), just a great reel. Also has plastic internal parts but not cheap plastic if that makes any sense. And it's waterproof to protect the inner cone disk. Its ugly grey but I'm only judging on functionality.

Another reel you never hear about, but I own and really like, is the TFO Prism. I'd slide it right in the middle of the lineup. It's a great reel for a better price than the Konic, but built better than the Ion.

Good luck to you!

#725191 - 09/24/13 05:12 AM Re: Spey Reel [Re: troutsniffer]
KillerDave
For what itís worth, I have nothing against Lamson personally and really like the look and feel of Lamson Reels.

However, for some strange reason every time Iíve fished with someone who owns one the spool has fallen off and ended their day of fishing. True story(s).

If you get a Lamson, get the reel spool tool that comes with it and be familiar with how to use it.

#725218 - 09/24/13 12:50 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: KillerDave]
Tor
My two cents... I have Waterworks Lamson reels on all the rods I own... from a Vanquish down to a Konic. I have never had a single issue with any of them... very strange to have a spool fall off...

#725219 - 09/24/13 01:34 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: Tor]
d a n
Hmmm...maybe I'm lucky the spool thing with my Konic only happened once.

I should also mention I have an Echo Ion for my switch rod. Meh. Much better reels out there for $80. It's also really prone to the paint getting chipped/dinged, I don't treat my reels gently.

#725221 - 09/24/13 02:40 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: d a n]
©larkman
What are your priorities in a reel? If you want a bombproof reel that has a drag that'll stop a truck, check out the older System 2 reels. I would think that the 10/11 (perhaps even the 8/9) would have plenty of room for you. If you want to play around with a 10/11 to see if it would balance appropriately and are in the Portland area, let me know, I have one (I'm not getting rid of it though)...

mine looks like this:

Edited by ©larkman (09/24/13 02:48 PM)

#725223 - 09/24/13 03:48 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: KillerDave]
Keystoner

However, for some strange reason every time Iíve fished with someone who owns one the spool has fallen off and ended their day of fishing. True story(s).

I think you may be forgetting that time I fought and landed that 36" beauty up by your place with a Lamson Konic 3.5. True story. oldwink Thanks again, by the way. That was awesome!

I've heard all the horror stories, but my Konic has yet to fail me and it has been tested many times. Maybe I'm just the lucky one, but for my 2 cents, I say get the Lamson, Phil.

#725225 - 09/24/13 04:52 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: KillerDave]
Paradun
F

I had this happen. I had switched from left to right hand retrieve and apparently didn't get the gear on the spool screwed on tight enough. I hooked a Steelhead and it peeled off some line. The next thing I knew I was holding the spool in one hand and the rod in the other. The gear came unscrewed and was still attached to the shaft on the frame. I screwed it back on the spool TIGHT! and have had no problems since.

"...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy." ~William Sherwood Fox

#725229 - 09/24/13 07:11 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: ©larkman]
PhilR
Thanks for all of the replies. And for the mental images of you guys standing in a river, rod in one hand, and spool in the other.

Originally Posted By: ©larkman
What are your priorities in a reel?

I think I just want a basic reel with a drag good enough for the steelhead that I hope to catch one day. Then again, at the rate I've been going, I can probably get away with wrapping the extra line around a chunk of old pool noodle and sticking it in my jacket pocket.

#725230 - 09/24/13 07:47 PM Re: Spey Reel [Re: PhilR]
Keystoner
I also have an Orvis Access 4 that I now use on my Red Truck rod. I'm not overly impressed with it, but I have had a few decent fish on it, and it gets the job done. Just presenting it as something to consider because I'm fairly sure it's less expensive than any of the other reels mentioned.

Also, Speypages is a great place to go reel shopping.

By the way, there are plenty of days when I could get by with the pool noodle in the jacket pocket setup.

#725240 - 09/25/13 06:27 AM Re: Spey Reel [Re: Keystoner]
peterjones
Never hear much negative about Lamson Konic reels at the shop. For the same cost, you might look at the new Sage 2000 series reels. Impressive for the price. And for not much more....you can get a bomb-proof Waterworks/Lamson Guru reel. 100% USA made and a nice reel......
For what it's worth, we understand budget considerations. Getting out fishing IS the thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ABOUT WESTFLY

Westfly is a non-profit corporation and the leading website for western fly anglers.

More About Westfly

Contact Us

Site Map

Donating to Westfly

List of Advertisers

How to Advertise

Advertising Policy

SPECIAL SERVICES

Publicizing events in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

Customized river and fishing report tables for Idaho, Montana Oregon, Washington.

Customized daily emails of river conditons, new articles, classified ads, etc. Start, change, or cancel.

Classified ads