logo
Home Forums Fly Patterns Entomology Articles Basic Skills Reviews Classifed Ads Photo Gallery Links Auctions  
IDAHO MONTANA OREGON WASHINGTON

Click here to learn about advertising

Recent Feature Articles

Steelhead Tactics: Spey Casting for Noobs Wondering whether to get into spey casting or not? Always wanted to catch a steelhead but the fish is proving elusive? Here's some tips and real-life experience about getting started. by Scott Richmond 

Review: Fall Run Vest from Simms If you live in Westfly Land, you need a vest! Simms has a dandy. Reviewed by Scott Richmond 

Other Articles of Interest

The Official Westfly Glossary  Find out what it all means.

Unlimited Helpful Hints  Fly fishing tips compiled by Westflyers.

Board Etiquette and Behavior Standards    How to Post Photos

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#730314 - 01/08/14 07:36 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: KillerDave]
Later, Peter
Originally Posted By: KillerDave
Simms makes Panties??? cool

I believe they are called "Absorbent Liners"

#730315 - 01/08/14 07:46 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: Later, Peter]
KillerDave
Originally Posted By: Later, Peter
Originally Posted By: KillerDave
Simms makes Panties??? cool

I believe they are called "Absorbent Liners"
!

Whoa, buzz kill oldbiggrin2

#730318 - 01/08/14 08:41 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: KillerDave]
Caddisman
The real question here is, "Did Dan make it past the Grim Reaper (as JR pointed out), or was his last post from Zombie Dan"?

Bill

#730319 - 01/08/14 08:57 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: KillerDave]
steelheadonfly
For Killerdave, have not had that problem about 65' and the rod dies with a Cabela's rod. The LST and the LSI have not had that problem. As a matter of fact, the reason I so love my 9' 3wt LST is because I have been able to throw all 90' of a WF3 line with it. You don't have to believe me, but have shown several people that it can be done who doubted me. The same is true for the spey rods, they throw much better and tighter loops than the sage I have could ever imagine.

#730334 - 01/09/14 08:08 AM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: KillerDave]
KillerDave
I believe you Steelheadonfly.

The Cabelaís rods I was referring to in my previous post were 8wts, just posting this for information.

What Sage spey rod to you have? (length/weight). I'm just curious.

My favorite spey rod is the 13'9" 8wt GLX Dredger. It's really slow, forgiving & easy casting which makes it easy to make good casts when you're tired after pounding the water all day. I have some faster speys that crank out some impressive casts, but if your timing is off then your cast goes down the drain fast.

#730355 - 01/09/14 03:45 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: KillerDave]
Don T
Dan I think most of us got it from the first. Having been in your shoes (I was still young so being a poor student was all I knew) I wish you the best going forward. Education is a good thing. BTW in grad school I believe I was still fishing the Eagle Claw convertable spin/fly pack rod I bought when I was 13......

One thing that was mentioned last time this exploded was that, like them or not, the high end domestic co.s do the innovation that makes the $100 rods these days as good as the $500 rods ten years ago. They also pay US workers a living wage. Hype is hype but that's capitalism and has always been the way of the world. Last year I plunked down for a new 5 wt since I hadn't bought a trout rod in ten years and my XP was getting dinged and worn. The Sages I did find to be very stiff and I didn't like them, which was a disappointment, but Scott and Winston are making wonderful rods that are not telephone poles. It's probably not objectively really worth the money at my skill level but I've taken a stance of trying to support NA companies when I can and think it's justified Anyway to close, FWIW, I also bought a sweet used Scott S4 7wt from ebay in Nov. for $180. If you are willing to gamble on the warranty it's hard to beat this as way to have the best of both worlds. It took maybe two months of tracking ebay and making lowball bids.

Edited by Don T (01/09/14 04:32 PM)

#730358 - 01/09/14 04:58 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: Don T]
©larkman
speaking of Sage, I was just sent a pic of their new blanks that are a follow-up to the One....Number Two:

It's said to be somewhere between the One and the Xi3 on their flex scale... oldbiggrin2

#730370 - 01/09/14 08:21 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: ©larkman]
steelheadonfly
Killerdave, I have the 13' 6" 7wt z-axis and only basically use it as a dredger rod during the middle of the day down on the Deschutes with a rio skagit line and a type 6 sinker. Wanted so much to buy the G. Loomis dredger but no shops here in Central Oregon carries G. Loomis so I settled for the sage from my favorite fly shop, The Patient Angler. Hope I don't get in trouble for naming the shop. It has been an affective piece of machinery, but I can definitely feel its heaviness and its slower reaction. Bought it basically to fish one particular hole where you have to cast a long line with no, and I mean no room for a backcast. I have a 9'9" 8wt in the LST and it still punches out the line as well when I use it. Usually have it set up for my lady when she wants to nymph.

Edited by steelheadonfly (01/09/14 08:24 PM)

#730382 - 01/10/14 06:23 AM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: steelheadonfly]
Canuck from KS
Wow, $700 to fish one hole (not including real, line, etc). Don't know that fits under the cheapest rod category oldsmile

I search for great deals on great rods - last year, a Scott original G-series 4 wt in virtually new condition, $100 - love it, my go-to rod for the Crooked, Fall, Middle D, I could go on

cheers

#730384 - 01/10/14 08:33 AM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: Canuck from KS]
Don T
Chris I'll give you 120 for it.........seriously though I'm looking in the background for the same rod.

#730401 - 01/10/14 05:51 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: Don T]
Later, Peter
Really? this is still going on? No one figured out the correct answer yet? Surprise surprise.

#730415 - 01/11/14 08:33 AM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: Later, Peter]
pigs
yea, its kinda like going on a hunting forum and trying to figure out the best hunting rifle........different strokes for different folks

#730434 - 01/11/14 05:05 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: pigs]
KillerDave
Steelheadonfly, thatís the stick. Itís one of the top rated spey rods going. Now that the Z-Axis line has been discontinued, if itís just not doing it for you it would be extremely easy to sell for $500 or so.

Not sure what else to add to this thread except for this; when money is tight itís fine to bargain hunt but bargain hunting on and on forever just leads to a garage full of cheap sheet. Then you look and all this off-brand gear you donít really like anymore and think ďMan, I could have bought my dream rod instead of all this crap thatís not worth anything.Ē Donít be that guy.

#730441 - 01/11/14 07:23 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: KillerDave]
pigs
KD, I've found that to be soooooo true with some things. Fly rods......depends on what you're talkin about. Cabelas LSi rod are inexpensive, but not cheap, imo.

a lil off topic, but....

Fly lines, dont skimp on em
Outdoor clothing and footwear......I've gotten rid of so many cheaper jackets, footwear, socks, etc....Not a place to skimp.
Tippet material.......get Rio, Orvis, Frog hair.....
Landing net......Brodin

#730447 - 01/11/14 09:52 PM Re: Sometimes cheap rods are the best [Re: pigs]
KillerDave
Agreed Pigs.

I suppose one life event that is skewing my thinking on this subject is recently my older neighbor was diagnosed with dementia and had to be committed to a home. His family came to get the house cleaned up and found that heíd been hording stuff for years and years. In my neighbors defense his home was neat and tidy on the outside and did not look anything like one of those crazy reality shows. However, if he found a ďgood dealĒ he couldnít seem to pass it up.

It took his four adult children and their families 3 weeks to go thru everything and get it moved out. Iíd say 95% of it went into a drop box. I donít know and I donít want to know how may Bucket List trips worth of junk fit into the 3 drop boxes they filled.

Makes you shake your head & question things.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

ABOUT WESTFLY

Westfly is a non-profit corporation and the leading website for western fly anglers.

More About Westfly

Contact Us

Site Map

Donating to Westfly

List of Advertisers

How to Advertise

Advertising Policy

SPECIAL SERVICES

Publicizing events in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington.

Customized river and fishing report tables for Idaho, Montana Oregon, Washington.

Customized daily emails of river conditons, new articles, classified ads, etc. Start, change, or cancel.

Classified ads