Deschutes Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deschutes Report

I fished the Deschutes around Maupin yesterday (Tuesday). Arrived around noon after driving up through the Gorge, then south on 197. Gorgeous day--sunny, big puffy clouds of all shapes, snow on the wheat fields, temps in the low to mid 40s.

Due to the sunny skies there was no blue winged olive hatch to speak of, although I heard they had been prolific for the previous week. I caught a respectable number of trout on nymphs, and the fish were all in good shape. Water temp is in the low 40s, and the fish are mostly in slower water and backeddies, as you might expect. Even though the BWO hatch was a non event, I think trout still hang around in the same places waiting for them--just in case. Water is clear and at a good level. Wind was fierce when I started but settled down a bit by late afternoon. More anglers than I expected, but still pretty easy to find a place to fish.

At my last stop, I caught my only whitey of the day--a big one--and decided it was time to leave. But then I figured I couldn't leave on a whitefish; I'd catch another trout and then I'd quiet. But then I caught another trout and decided maybe one more cast. My next cast wrapped around a snag jutting into the river and I lost my tippet and two flies. Serves me right!

I came home over Mt. Hood. The road has packed snow from just west of Pine Grove to mile post 50 west of Government Camp--about 30 miles. But traffic wasn't bad and it was okay with 4WD and cautious driving.

This was my first trout trip of 2019, and I've only been steel heading once so far. Sure felt good to get out. Spring is a comin' in!
    aka Scott Richmond

Good report. Always need to donate a fly or two. My guess is there is no shortage yet, as we have had excessive snow making time to tie.

Comment

Thanks for report, yeah can't end it with a whitey. When fishing dries or dry/dropper, what rod you like for Deschutes? I need to fish dries more this year, get stuck with nymph mode. Was thinking maybe your basic Redington Classic Trout 8"6" 3wt. I have a Cabelas Three Forks 3 wt. in 7'6" - not wild about it.

Comment

• Mr. Chin
        Mr. Chin commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a 3wt Cabelas CZN (Czech Nymph Rod) that I've been using for my small dry fly rod. It's 9.5' and flexes into the cork. It won't punch flies into the wind but the little extra length and the soft action is great for light tippets and control in the back eddies. I used it today and it felt soooo good. For the bigger flies and pounding into the wind I have a 9ft 5wt Sage from 24 years ago. No idea what model it is but it was my first rod and it does the job.
        Last edited by Mr. Chin; 03-14-2019, 09:31 PM.

• pigs
        pigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the czn 4 WT 11 footer. It is a beast and very versatile. Throws big Indo setups, delicate euro rigs, meat, dries.....it's a great lower D rod.....the czn is a great value, imo
        Last edited by pigs; 03-15-2019, 09:22 AM.

Just one more last cast....

Nice report.

- JR

Comment

Shot out yesterday afternoon (Wed) and went up and over Hood to and from Maupin. There were still some sneaky patches of snow on HWY 216 so don't get caught ripping into the turns too fast. One dude had a good slide as I was heading up and it was a little scary even though my truck would have won against his car. River has some color from the melting snow. It was all fishable but better visibility up higher above the few creeks. I took a walk above the gate to my favorite eddy today. Clouds rolled in for the afternoon and there was a decent Blue Wing Olive hatch and a spattering of March Browns. You just never know. I've seen dozens and dozens of fish dimpling that eddy with sparser hatches. Today they just weren't there so I started walking looking for players and I found a few. Ended up with 4 on the dry and each of them were single fish really tight to the bank sipping in micro-eddies.The big dark fish in the pic fought like a rag but the slow motion take off the rod tip was as good as it gets. First time I've seen water in the Devils Canyon crossing. Also saw a huge wild steelhead rotting away. Closet I've been to steelhead in months!
        Last edited by Mr. Chin; 03-14-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• pigs
          pigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Bitchin!....I need to get over there

Ahh, looks so nice to be out on our Deschutes! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That place really became more of a fishing destination for me over the past few years going through divorce. I walk and stare at the water a lot more these days instead of fishing, and probably catch the same numbers of fish. Canyon Therapy! It was perfect for big pods of fish to show themselves in the big eddies. There were mats of bugs in all the typical bubble lines and I stared and stared for a long time. I'm glad I took a walk. Picking off those single sippers was good times.

Comment

I was going to head out that way tomorrow, safe bet to stay above the White with the snowmelt then?

Comment

• mcswny
              mcswny commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok good to know! I'm only in my second season on the fly and spent the majority of my year last year small stream fishing on the upper clack drainage and tributaries as I was living in Estacada. I'm still learning the lower D and have spent most my time below Sherar's and know it better than around Maupin.

• Mr. Chin
              Mr. Chin commented
              Editing a comment
              It took me a few years to not have The D overwhelm me and it still beats me down after 13 years! Keep it short and controlled. Besides for the one I picked up nymphing, the fish on dries were in close like dapping and slamming pocket water.

• mcswny
              mcswny commented
              Editing a comment
              I ended up fishing below Sherar's yesterday. Was on the water by 11:30 and off by 5pm. A lot sunnier than expected so the BWO hatch was off. Saw a few, but when I say a few, I mean like a dozen total. I mono rigged the whole day, caught a few really good sized redsides and a lot of white fish. I caught a whitey bigger than I thought existed, easily 20+ inches and bigger than both my hands around. It was absurd. The ugliest fish I've seen in a long time.

River was a little off color, but definitely still fishable. Only saw one other car, perfect day.

Also! I got into tying this winter and was able to catch my first fish on flies I tied myself
          Working...
          X