Sherars Falls!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherars Falls!

Did anyone else see this video of these bozos trying to run Sherars? Predictable result. Hope they all lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNtXcLJ_TI

Apparently the warning signs weren't enough, or they were too drunk to care.

I read about on deschutes angler. I was just downstream that day. wonder what time it was.

You ever see the "vintage" version? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-7ARF_7WM

From Amy "Here's a fun little bit of local news.... Yesterday a raft with four people in it went right past Sandy Beach because all of the warning signs which say "All Boats MUST Exit Here" were washed away in high water and have not been replaced. The story goes, these rafters thought they would see a lot of people at the take out spot (Sandy Beach) and they didn't see anyone. So, they kept going and floated down through the narrow section of the Deschutes above Sherar's Falls. They stopped in a shallow area to the left of Sherar's, assessed the "rapid", and paddled out into the middle of the river, dropping right into the class VI Sherar's Falls. I just saw a series of photographs taken by a guy from the road and they didn't have a chance of keeping that boat upright through that first drop! The raft flipped immediately and everyone in it plunged into the churning whitewater. By some stroke of luck or divine intervention, nobody died. One guy clung to a rocky outcropping in the middle of the churning waterfall- having gotten to the rocks by hanging on tight to the raft. He was later rescued. There were police cars and ambulances and a rescue team down at the falls yesterday evening pulling folks out of the river. It was a lot of excitement for little Maupin - the kind we don't need any more of this summer. Hopefully the BLM gets the signs reposted in the next few days."
    Last edited by mcswny; 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• soxfan
      soxfan commented
      Editing a comment
      The vintage one is a classic, and probably the more dangerous of the two. About a million ways to get pinned in that tangle of tubes

Wow.

Comment

Did they ever find and remove the truck that went in the river a year or two ago?
      Choices! We have a lot of choices in Oregon.
      https://www.ryanchinauthor.com/singl.../05/20/Choices

Comment

Here is another view shot from the west side of the river.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.christe...4421015846755/

Comment

• soxfan
          soxfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Better camera angle to see the carnage for sure. I still can't contemplate what they were thinking, I would have been back rowing for my life and seriously considering swimming for the fish ladder at the top! I bet the right side run would almost be doable though...

Love the old one, saw it a few years back. Cut off jean shorts and not a life vest in sight.
        Mike
        "I'se the B'y that builds the boat"

Comment

• pigs
          pigs commented
          Editing a comment
          They were pounding beers before too! Legendary!

So they weren’t crazy. Just dumb and ignorant.
        aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Wow......even with the signs washed out, to take out at Sandy Beach, come on man! How do you not know about Sherars if ur floating the lower D? Not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Comment

I'd hate to have to try to get out of there. Not a lot of beaches among all the cliffs
            Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

Well, they obviously took the wrong line through there.../sarcasm font
              The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

I hope they got hit with a fine. Lucky to be alive. If the water was at summer levels they would still be circulating in the hole under the whitewater. Almost wish we could treat this like streakers at athletic events and not share it so they won’t get the fame and attention. How do you miss Sandy Beach? And if you did how can you see the falls and get back in the raft. Just use the old takeout.
                Look to the positive!

Comment

word is that they were absolutely wasted....not an excuse, but a reason for missing Sandy Beach.

Comment

Thanks for that Soxfan . I knew of a person that purposely ran Sherars in the 80's and lived to tell about it.. he got washed bad..

Comment

Love the phone booth in the older video (behind Maupin Resident). I imagine it would take a while to get anyone in there to help out. {For those who don't know the "phone booth" has a land-line inside, and you put a couple of coins (not bit coins, but quarters and such) in a slot to get a minute or two of local phone time for your call. For 3 or 4 dollars, you could call Salem from Maupin for 3 minutes. And we thought Ma Bell (that is another story) was raking it in then}. timk

Comment

The handbook to the Deschutes River has a photo of Mark Angel running Sherar's in a raft. I believe he was a whitewater salvage expert which is a rare breed

Comment

Working...
                        X