One more D report...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more D report...

Had a meeting cancelled, looked around, not one was watching, and the next thing you know I was over the hill...... Well, maybe I took the afternoon off.... Big bugs were definitely flying and I was pretty surprised that the campgrounds were not very full (yet). Fishing was OK, not great, I think everything along the road has already been pretty pounded. Got the most action in the jungle spots on smaller yellow stone patterns. However by 7:00 there was a car at almost everyone decent turnout and a lot of out of state plates. I think it will be a zoo this weekend, but I caught some fish and got another shot of big bug fishing for the year. FWIW, there were a great deal of caddis, big clouds on the trees, bushes and around my truck in the evening, so that is encouraging. Did not observe any caddis hatch evening rises though, it got cool and windy. That's all I got....

Maybe we passed each other? I booked out with work today and tomorrow so I headed out Wednesday evening. Had Twin Springs to myself for the night. Slammed a big bug around for 30 min with nothing then switched to caddis for last light and got two really healthy fish. Thursday I hit my go to spots and stuck with a big bug and dropper. Probably could have caught more nymphing but I wanted that surface EAT! Ended up with a few to hand fishing really hard from 10-2. Covered a lot of water. I like fishing tight to steep banks along fast water during big bug time. I love the immediate slam or the seeing that dark shape come up into the moving window. A lot of times I'm pretty far up the bank so I get this amazing overhead view of the eat off the rod tip. That might be it for the D for a while. Bugs and crowds increases exponentially from the lower canyon up to Wapanita. Had to leave at 2 for a meeting back in the city and of course that's when the bugs started getting really active. We are truly lucky! Small stream brookies, desert canyons and trout, and now...maybe summer steel on the Clack tomorrow?! Should be fishy with rain.
    Last edited by Mr. Chin; 05-24-2019, 01:25 PM.
    Choices! We have a lot of choices in Oregon.
    https://www.ryanchinauthor.com/singl.../05/20/Choices

Comment

• DonT
      DonT commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Ryan,

I actually wasn't fishing until about 2:30, might have passed you in town! I was hoping the evening would stay warm and there would be a lot of activity once the sun went down but it really cooled down fast and shut off. Yeah I like to beat the brush along the steeper banks and harder to reach places and move fast as well, usually come back tired and a little beat up but that's part of the fun....Seeing the flash of color under the fly or the dark shape coming up is a lot of the joy of the surface fishing for sure....

Was charging East by the that time. Was a great drive over the mountain.

FYI wear long sleeves. Poison Oak is out in full force! Waiting for it to hit as I was staying cool in a short sleeve shirt. Totally rookie move that I seem to pull every year. I was so focussed moving upriver pounding the fly that I'd forget to look off the water and find myself surrounded by the stuff. Dang...
    Choices! We have a lot of choices in Oregon.
    https://www.ryanchinauthor.com/singl.../05/20/Choices

Comment

• DonT
      DonT commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't get it at all but my wife gets it really badly and I've given her a pretty good case a couple times over the years I presume from residual oil on my waders/boots or wherever after I got home. I try really hard not to get into it but you gotta go where the fish are......* I now have a routine which is a pain but seems to work.* Right after I arrive home everything I am wearing goes into the washer with TekNu and I then shower with it, etc.* Also first thing out of the truck before I take off my clothes and wash them (when I am still dirty) the waders get hung out on the back fence and then I wash them, my boots and sometimes my hat down with TekNu when I get a chance in the next day or so.* I've also at times wiped down the inside of the truck.* Anyway my wife is a good sport but she should not have to expect getting infected whenever I fish and I want to keep fishing the D so it's worth it.

Yeah I'm going to have to look at investing in some lightweight long sleeves since a little blood was involved yesterday.* I did hook the two best fish of the day after fighting my way into that slot,so it was worth it.......

Suuuper crowded at Dry Creek yesterday...at least 10 cars there.

I jungle fished and had some off and on chubbie action. Whenever a cloud went by it got better,and then some good stuff near dark. Crazy fun monster boils but tough wading. Glad I got to go twice this year.
    The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

• Patrick
      Patrick commented
      Editing a comment
      I was the first one at Dry Creek on Thursday. Couldn't believe how many people I saw on the way back to the car. If you saw a guy getting punished by the rocky road on a bike, that was me. I did OK, but worked hard for those fish. So much fun, but I am still sore this morning. Good eats in the prime bank spots and lots of refusals in the "nymphing" water. Got better as the bugs started getting more active, but I had to quit at about 2:30. As I was walking back to my bike, there where thousands of bugs flying upstream.

• pigs
      pigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Patrick, witnessed the flight of big bugs on the McKenzie a few years back.....never seen anything like it......never saw a lot of big bugs in the bushes, but I could not believe how many were in flight.

• Stevie B
      Stevie B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Patrick, I think I saw you biking out just as I was walking in. Glad you had a good day.

I did chat with several other friendly flyfishers so the vibe was pretty relaxed despite the crowds.

Can't wait for October on the D.....better fishing and waaaaay less people

Comment

Was on the D up near Mecca yesterday. Lots of bugs around, but they weren’t keyed in at all. Caddis hatching all day. Actually got my only two fish on caddis subsurface. Beautiful day, if a little cool and breezy. Saw one absolute beast do the head and shoulders porpoise and I spent way too much time throwing everything I had at it. But, you know how we all complain about the crowds, everyone was cool and friendly. Even the snakes just said ‘sup and slithered off.
      Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

Working...
      X