Memorial Day 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day 2019

Several years ago I was home on Memorial Day not at work but obliged to stick by the phone. The internet was new, and I played around. I found out that the holiday was originally intended to honor the fallen on the battlefield. We have widened the focus, but I think we should take a second to think about the human cost of building our country. I started looking for the stories of heroes and posting them here. This year I want to recognize Robert D. Maxwell who died May 11 this year.
    He was born October 26, 1920 in Boise. When WW II broke out he could have taken CO status but joined. He was assigned the job of stringing phone wires and because this was considered not a combat job carried only the .45 pistol along with the spools of wire. At Anzio he suffered artillery wounds while maintaining his units communications. His actions were recognized with a Silver Star.
    He recuperated for a couple of months and rejoined his unit in eastern France.

(The system ate part of my note)
    In France while under fire, he smothered an enemy grenade with a blanket and his body. This led to the awarding of the Medal of Honor.
    After the war he became a car mechanic and taught at Bend High School, Central Oregon Community College, and Lane Community College. He continued his service by becoming an educator. A real Hero all his life.
    It would be great if any of you knew him and could add a few words to my tribute.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know him but recognize his name. They named a bridge for him over the Deschutes near La Pine
      The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Thanks for this, Slugger. I had heard of him and knew he was a Medal of Honor recipient, but did not know his story. He was indeed a Quaker, so could have been granted, and in fact was offered CO status, which he refused. He had never finished high school, dropping out of school in 7th grade to help with the family farm in Kansas. The family came to Oregon during the Depression. One of the wonderful and touching aspects of his story is that he received his high-school diploma from Bend Senior High, in 2011, at the age of 90. He was the oldest living recipient of the Medal of Honor, when he died 2 weeks ago.

When we see older folks amongst us, we rarely stop to think of the sacrifices they made. Slugger, your remembrance made me stop and think. Thank you.

Cheers

Comment

Harvey was a kid...he had a job opportunity my mom found for him./he thought joining up and going to viet nam was the thing to do...to matter...He4 died three weeks in...I never saw my Marine dad cry...until then at that funeral...I changed me forever...Harvey and I used to ride our bikes with our poles down to the camas slough and fish for bass under the log rafts and whitefish...we caught a lot of whitefish,,,we made lean to's out of flotsam on the bank...we were scambling up a bank and I reached over into a broken bottle , cut the piss out of my hand...and Harvey 16 then me 11 or 12...he ripeed out his jacket pocket and put a tournicutt on me...Harvey was like that...tough home life but my big brother...Yeah I am crying...This was tough to type with my 1-H college deferment and my Pearl harbor Marine Dad's promise later he would get me out of the country should my number come up...I remember all of it so clear...and no I did not serve...but honor their memory.probably forever...as long as I can think and feel.

My foster brother, Harvey C. Harris

https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=276859
          `

Comment

Remember and Honor.

Comment

Working...
            X