Small Stream In SW Washington?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Stream In SW Washington?

Anyone do any small stream stuff in SW Washington? Specifically in the Swift Reservoir area? It's free fishing weekend in Washington this weekend and my wife, one year old and I are going on an overnighter backpack on a specific creek and was wondering if it was of anything good? I don't want to call it out in case its a hidden gem and offend anyone, I've seen some interesting things online about it, but not much. I'm bringing my rod regardless and just wondering if anyone has had any experience in that area

My apologies for being cryptic.
    Last edited by mcswny; 06-05-2019, 08:47 PM.

Bring head nets. It's that time of year.

Comment

more than a hint... Click image for larger version

Name:	Evening at North Fork.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	11244

Comment

• mcswny
        mcswny commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful

The " "can be fun...i take a tenkara set up there...you will find more water now than would be ideal...but dink fishing can be fun...dry patterns #16-18 . light tippet...no need to go ninja . we have been getting rain...hang left a 1/4 mile and you hit the falls about 12-15 feet high ...so with small kid head up ...bring a whistle or noise making device...or just mutter to yourself a bit... good Luck...
      X

Type user names to add additional recipients. To remove a recipient from the message list, click on the '

Comment

• mcswny
        mcswny commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, thanks for the tips Skipper. Yeah I think I'm going to just bring my little 3 wt (if I had a tenkara, that would be perfect). I love dink fishing with dries, actually some of my favorite type of fishing. Just no pressure laughing to yourself type of fishing. At least in my dink creeks, I've generally had more success with #14 dries, maybe its just a bigger meal for them and also harder to hook the REALLY small guys. But I'll bring some 16-18s too!

I figured the water was going to be a bit up, but still worth trying anyways as we're going anyways as were getting used to backpacking with our kid. Might as wet my line when she goes down.

It is a beautiful place...I fished it with my Dad back in the wild and wooley 70's...caught some nice fish back then...12"-15"...but then didn't everyone before St Helens blew ...been back many times...of course...the mini hatch thing under overhanging brush 15' away ...side arm bounce under overhanging limbs to entice 6-8" resident trout is wonderful...

Comment

• mcswny
        mcswny commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm much greener behind the ears... Did St. Helens really make that much of a difference on the local fisheries? I guess all the ash couldn't have helped...
        My neighbor was telling me that he kept all the ash in his yard in a couple 55 gallon barrels and the next 5 years were the best his garden had ever been.

Your camping trip will be swell
      Last edited by Skipper; 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Backpacked in and fished this small creek in SW Washington over the weekend. Wasn't necessarily a "fishing trip" as I was with my wife and one year old, but did bring my 3 wt and was able to get into a few small, but beautiful wild fish on dries. This is definitely some of my favorite type of fishing. Not exactly a destination spot, but beautiful and fun regardless.

Just thankful I have the opportunity to get out there with my family and such a young one.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Skipper
          Skipper commented
          Editing a comment
          as gorgeous as I remember it to be. Wonderful pics especially the one of your child.
      Working...
      X