Laurance Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurance Report

Hit Laurance on Saturday for a few hours. Needed some lazy bobber time on a lake. As usual it was howling when I pulled up at 11:00. I hugged shore and ninja paddled to the inlets and set up for a few hours. The water is stained, apparently from the pollen. It wasn't fast action but it was steady. I missed a lot of fish with the slack line caused from the wind and from looking at the sky. A single siphlonurus hatched on my SUP. Didn't see another one all day. Felt good to do some chill fishing instead of being stared down by big fish with big teeth.
    Gray Drake with shuck blown into the water. Gray drake minutes after hatching on the SUP.
    Choices! We have a lot of choices in Oregon.
    https://www.ryanchinauthor.com/singl.../05/20/Choices

Sounds like a great day. They're done with the Dam project and its fishable again (obviously)?

Comment

Cool hatch photo! Thanks for the report.
      aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Fished it several weeks ago after contacting the USFS about the draw-down effect upon the native fish population. Fished all day by myself and was pleasantly surprised at how healthy the fish and lake were. Most of my fish were caught on a #14 Soft Hackle fly trolled via a intermediate sinking line. Found here that the fish tend to body-slap the fly and then turn to take it. So I let the fly drop after a strike and usually hook up a second later. Even caught one by the flank when I didn't follow my own rule. Odd feeling dragging it in. Thought it was a piece of wood. The native fish were really hard bodied and brightly colored. Altogether, it looks like the lake is back. Now to see if the hatches return. Looks like Mr Chin has answered that questions.

Comment

I didn't catch any wilds. There were a few chunky hold overs that took me for a good run but most of the fish were truck trout dumped in this year. Those wild cutties fight pretty good when you get them. I didn't see any Calibaetis but I was off the water by 3:00. Like I said, I was being lazy and fished an indie the whole time. 5-6 ft down with a chironomid or a pheasant tail. I'm actually heading back up there this week with the kids. We'll see how the crawdad population faired from the drawdown.

On another note. There were at least a dozen people fishing the irrigation pond on the way into Laurance. I've seen a few fish rising in there but I can't imagine there being a good population of fish in that mudhole. Didn't see anyone catch anything. Hatchery truck should save half a load and chuck 'em in there.
          Last edited by Mr. Chin; 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Interesting about not catching any wild fish. SCI and I were up there before they stocked it, and nobody on the lake was catching anything. I wonder if the drawdown beat up on the wild and holdovers.
            Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

I too noticed the campers on the settling pond. I think they are living there as they have what looks like permanent camps set up. There were two distinct groups. One in the Southeastern corner the other near the road in the Southwestern side. Is this BLM land? I thought it was all Mt Hood National Forest in which case they be asked to move.

My trip was before ODFW had a chance to dump the hatchery fish. I was told that due to the late snowstorm they couldn't access the lake. Not sure if this is true or not, but I only caught one fish which even looked like a pellet head. All the others were hard, colorful, and fought great. Most were cutthroats.

Comment

I used to fish Laurance a lot when I lived in East county (about 20 years ago). One morning on a whim I fished that pond very early and hooked a huge fish where the creek comes in. Best part was I woke up the camper that was parked right where the creek comes in.
                Mike
                "I'se the B'y that builds the boat"

Comment

• Mr. Chin
                  Mr. Chin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now I'm gonna have to stop and take a few casts. Bet it was resident bull trout you hooked.

Camped with the kids Tuesday night. I'm convinced that the color in the lake is an algae bloom and not pollen. The beaver ponds above the lake are crystal clear and there's no scum line on the lake's edge from pollen. Two years ago our crawdad traps were filled each night. This year we didn't catch one. We nailed a few trout but we mostly swam and paddled around. Hopefully we won't get sick from the algae. The camp host agreed with me about it being algae but he says the the PGE dam guys insists it's pollen. I've seen the same colored water at Timothy and Detroit last year and there were warning signs up about an algae bloom. One would think if a bunch of stuff died on the drawdown that there'd be a higher nutrient load when it was refilled. Who knows. It'll clear up eventually and the fishing will be better. It's so fun now that the kids can paddle their own yaks.

Comment

• mcswny
                  mcswny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Chin, was it buggy (mosquitos) up there?

Sad to hear that the crawdad population seems to be extinct. Not surprised when their world dries up. Also sad to think of all those otters looking for somewhere else to live! I am beginning think my early trip maybe the only one this year. Hopefully mother nature will restore Laurance in a couple of years.

Comment

I'm sure everything will bounce back fine but I was surprised to not get at least one lonely crawdad. Skeeters weren't bad at all. I'll head back a few more times with the kids. They had their longest session with a fly rod roll casting indies and both hooked fish briefly. I was stoked to see them give it a good go. It also drove me crazy because they just couldn't keep their hands off the reels and always had too much slack to set the hook.

Comment

What were you fishing under the indies (I think I'm heading up there in a week or two)?

Comment

Fished PTs and a glass or white bead chiro. Here's the rock my kid was standing on while tuna-fighting a 12" stocker with a 3wt. The illegal bait guys always fish this area and wing their rigs too far. The channel is literally right off the rod tip.

This is the 3rd summer we've had these little yaks. I can't say enough about giving kids wetsuits and a little watercraft to explore. The creeks were ice cold but it didn't matter. They were stoked. I just take a back seat and follow them around with a beer barking the occasional direction to keep them safe.

You can see the water quality in the cannonball pic. That has to be algae!

Comment

• soxfan
                        soxfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That looks like a good time there!

• Crawbugger
                        Crawbugger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree that's alge. Pollen sits on top, that is the color of the water. Remember there are lots of strains of alge, only some of them are harmful to pets and humans. Always better to error on the side of good judgment. Glad you guys had Fun.
                    Working...
                    X