Westfly Coming to an End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westfly Coming to an End

This is the hardest post I've ever made, so I'll get right to the point.

After 21 years on the internet, Westfly will cease operation on October 31.

There are two primary reasons for this decision. First, internet technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, but after 55 years in the world of computers and high tech, I have diminished enthusiasm for keeping up with that pace.

The second reason is closely related to the first: I'm getting older. I remain fit, active, and in good health, but for the last few years I've been simplifying my life so I can better focus on family, travel, writing, and maybe even a little more fishing.

Perhaps some bright and energetic techie-with-a-fly-rod will come up with new and better ways to serve the western fly fishing community. I certainly hope so.
    aka Scott Richmond

Thanks for the FUN.

Comment

This has been my inlet and outlet for my flyfishing communication. I have recently become more involved with the Local flyfishing club- so I guess this will move me even more in that direction.
      Thank you for what you have done to this point, as your investment in this site has been an aid to many.

Comment

not to be flippant, because Westfly has been a steady part of my life for most of those 21 years and I greatly appreciate it.

but the most appropriate thing to say right now seems to be a quote from Douglas Adams:

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

You leave behind a tremendous legacy, Scott. Thank you.

Comment

Scott,

Very sorry to hear about this, but completely understand. This site has been part of my daily ritual from when I was waylaid in Kansas and is at least a small part of how I ended up in Bend. Thanks for all you have done.

cheers

Comment

So, what you're saying is that we should have one last blowout rondi on the Deschutes in late October?
            Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

Well you’ve certainly put in some work for this page..

we we could just start a Facebook group if folks want..
              or create a post with peoples contact info to keep in touch.

thanks again Fuzzy

Comment

• Skipper
                Skipper commented
                Editing a comment
                an FB page is a good idea...

• SteelCityIrish
                SteelCityIrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Whats FB?

Bummer. This sight really sped up my learning curve. I will miss it. Thanks for all you have done for us.

Comment

Been here 15 years,,,well on and off. I will say it's been a trip. Met folks here, most in the ether but some in person. It has been a great adventure. Big Ben sent me here in 2004. Scott you had some rough years here trying to keep this place from stalling or over heating. Thanks for that. i have my own challenge now... retirement...i have always gone at everything at full tilt...now this self reflective what the hell am I going to do? i have some ideas...Working on that motivation part...Ha! Take Care!

Comment

BTW Fuzzy...your closure date is genius, and so appropo!

Comment

Thanks Scott for everything. Completely understandable decision....Wow this will leave a big hole. I can't begin to count up everything I've learned here and hope I've been able to contribute a little back. I'm going to be retired next year and one of the things I was hoping to do was to participate more in the fishing get-togethers. There is a whole crew of folks I was eventually hoping to meet. A giant Rondi doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world....

Comment

Scott,

As others have said: "Thank You".

This site and everything you've done to make it happen have benefitted us all.

Cheers,

Bryan

a/k/a Bimini Twist

Comment

Enjoy your own Eden, Scott. Click image for larger version

Name:	My Eden small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	725.4 KB
ID:	12163

Comment

Thanks for all the good times.

Comment

Thank you for everything, Scott. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without Westfly.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                            X