How do I.....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I.....?

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who aren't smart enough to figure out some of the new Westfly features on our own, and where some of you who have figured it out can help. I have two things going on, so I'll start:

1. When I come back to a thread I've viewed before, it takes me to the first post rather than the first unread. I'm logged in, and my conversation detail in User settings is set to display latest activity. How do I get it to point to the first unread post?

2. This is probably just me, but I have to click on the thread title twice to open the thread. Anybody else having this happen?

Thanks.
    Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Don't know and yes.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck from KS View Post
      Don't know and yes.

cheers
      Same answer here to both questions.

Comment

This was posted in the Arts & Crafts Dec. 2016 thread, but it's probably appropriate to post it here, too.

SUMMARY OF IMAGE POSTING METHODS

There are (at least) three methods for posting images on the new forum.
        Here is my summary of how they work, based on the tests in the Arts & Crafts Dec. 2016 thread, and pending further information that may surface.

1. Share Photos (camera icon at top left of new post box).
        --Click the icon, then select Upload, and choose the desired file from your computer.
        --A thumbnail of the image should appear at the bottom of the post. When clicked, it should open a new window with a larger version of the image.
        --If the original width of the uploaded image is less than or equal to 1279 pixels, it will appear without modification. If it is greater than 1279 px wide, it will be down-scaled to 1279 px.

2. Advanced Editor > Image (Underlined A icon at top right of new post box)
        --Click in the new post text box at the position you want the image to appear.
        --In the Advanced Editor toolbar (toggled by the A icon at top right) along the top of the box, select the Image icon--looks like a box with sun over mountains--about 3/4 of the way across towards the right side.
        --In the box that pops up, click the Upload tab, then choose the desired file from your computer and click Send It To Server ( a fancy way to say "upload it").
        --The image should appear at the desired point in the post box.
        --If the original width of the uploaded image is less than or equal to 958 pixels, it will appear without modification. If it is greater than 958 px wide, it will be down-scaled to 958 px.

3. Upload Attachments (paper clip thingie at top right of new post box)
        --Note that this is the only method that lets you choose to post an image at a size smaller than its original size on your computer (except automatic down-scaling to the width limit).
        --Click the top right paper clip thingie, and then click the "upload attachments" box, bottom left, and select the pic image from your computer. Then, select the size: thumbnail, small, medium, large, or fullsize. It will then be uploaded, down-scaled (if you didn't select full size) and inserted into the body of your post. (Credit to Doublebluff for describing this procedure.)
        --Note that this method currently appears a bit flaky to me. In my tests, it sometimes inserted the image as expected, and other times it instead inserted a link that would then open the image in a separate window. I have not yet figured out what causes that.

NOTE (added 12/10/2016): I have now determined that the Maximum Height of an image = 900 pixels when posted under any of the above 3 methods. So if the original image is greater than 900 pixels high, it will be down-scaled by the server to that size.
        Take home lesson: if you want to be sure the server doesn't down-scale your image, make sure it is no higher than 900 px and no wider than 958 px before you upload it.
        Last edited by Arlen; 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilR View Post
          1. When I come back to a thread I've viewed before, it takes me to the first post rather than the first unread. I'm logged in, and my conversation detail in User settings is set to display latest activity. How do I get it to point to the first unread post?
          Thanks.
          Just to the left of the Thread Title is a little blue circle with what looks like two down pointing triangles. Click on the little circle and it will take you to the first new post in the thread.
          TC
          I like Phamily, Phriends, Phly-Phishing, and Phood......wouldn't you know it, I live in Philomath, Oregon!

Comment

Originally posted by Arlen View Post
            This was posted in the Arts & Crafts Dec. 2016 thread, but it's probably appropriate to post it here, too.

SUMMARY OF IMAGE POSTING METHODS

There are (at least) three methods for posting images on the new forum.
            Here is my summary of how they work, based on the tests in the Arts & Crafts Dec. 2016 thread, and pending further information that may surface.

1. Share Photos (camera icon at top left of new post box).
            --Click the icon, then select Upload, and choose the desired file from your computer.
            --A thumbnail of the image should appear at the bottom of the post. When clicked, it should open a new window with a larger version of the image.
            --If the original width of the uploaded image is less than or equal to 1279 pixels, it will appear without modification. If it is greater than 1279 px wide, it will be down-scaled to 1279 px.

2. Advanced Editor > Image (Underlined A icon at top right of new post box)
            --In the Advanced Editor toolbar (toggled by the A icon at top right) along the top of the box, select the Image icon--looks like a box with sun over mountains--about 3/4 of the way across towards the right side.
            --In the box that pops up, click the Upload tab, then choose the desired file from your computer and click Send It To Server ( a fancy way to say "upload it").
            --The image should appear at the desired point in the post box.
            --If the original width of the uploaded image is less than or equal to 958 pixels, it will appear without modification. If it is greater than 958 px wide, it will be down-scaled to 958 px.

3. Upload Attachments (paper clip thingie at top right of new post box)
            --Note that this is the only method that lets you choose to post an image at a size smaller than its original size on your computer (except automatic down-scaling to the width limit).
            --Click the top right paper clip thingie, and then click the "upload attachments" box, bottom left, and select the pic image from your computer. Then, select the size: thumbnail, small, medium, large, or fullsize. It will then be uploaded, down-scaled (if you didn't select full size) and inserted into the body of your post. (Credit to Doublebluff for describing this procedure.)
            --Note that this method currently appears a bit flaky to me. In my tests, it sometimes inserted the image as expected, and other times it instead inserted a link that would then open the image in a separate window. I have not yet figured out what causes that.
            I can't get any of these to work for me.. I finally was able to attach a photo to a post, and the preview showed the image, but when I pressed "Post", all that appeared was a link.

Comment

The double-arrow works, and the double-click issue went away. So all good. Thanks.
              Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

JZ, I think the first method, Share Photos, is the easiest. Can you try that method again? If you and/or others are still having trouble with it, I could post a step-by-step series of screen shots to walk you through it.

Comment

• ~JZ~
                  ~JZ~ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tried it again Arlen, with no success. I hit "Upload" and I get an error that it's unable to upload. I can't choose "Select From Album" because I have been unable to upload to an album.

I was having the same problem as JZ. I made a copy of the photo I wanted to use and resized it to less than the maximum width. I was then able to successfully include it in a thread using Arlen's #3 instructions.
                TC
                I like Phamily, Phriends, Phly-Phishing, and Phood......wouldn't you know it, I live in Philomath, Oregon!

Comment

Thanks for that info, TC. That may well have been the source of the sporadic problem with that method that prompted me to label it "flaky" in my description. But if that is in fact the problem, then it would tend to invalidate what seems to be the main advantage of that method: the option to let Westfly help them resize images (to small, medium, large), which is useful to those who don't know how to resize them on their own. For such people, who just want the easiest method to post a picture, I still advocate method 1, Share Photos.

Comment

Arlen: I tried Method #1 and it would not upload the original photo and returned this message "Image upload failed because the extension of this file did not match the content."
                    I then tried Method #3 using the copy of the original picture. This is what I got selecting the "Large" size photo option.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Katie Cat.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	335

Last edited by TheCamel; 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM.
                    TC

Comment

I just noticed that another website I frequent runs the same website software....."vBulletin Solutions". I tried Method #1 on that website and it successfully uploaded the original picture. That website is running version 5.2.5 while Westfly is running Version 5.2.3. I am going to compare the user settings between the two websites and see if something I have set on Westfly is different and will report back with my findings.
                      TC

Comment

Not sure but it might also have to do with your browser. On my Mac/Safari, method #3 doesn't show large when I select "full size", but it does when I use my PC/Explorer at work.

Bill
                        http://caddisman.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by Caddisman View Post
                          Not sure but it might also have to do with your browser. On my Mac/Safari, method #3 doesn't show large when I select "full size", but it does when I use my PC/Explorer at work.

Bill
                          Bill: I had considered the browser issue. I typically use Mozilla Firefox(latest version) so tried to post a picture using Method #1 while using Google Chrome. It returned the same "Image upload failed because the extension of this file did not match the content." error message.
                          TC

Comment

Well, that behavior has me stumped. I just tried Method 1 on ten different images, of sizes up to 1450 px and 783 KB. All of them worked fine. I also tried a handful of images using methods 2 and 3; they also all worked fine. This was all in Windows 10, on Firefox. I had checked the upload process in Chrome previously and saw no problem, but I went back and checked another handful of images in that browser. Everything worked fine.

I have yet to see the error message that you described, TC. However, last night on a couple of images I got an error message that said something like "Image upload can't be completed because the file is corrupted". I knew the images were not corrupted, but I just moved on to another image to test rather than fool with it. I did not see that message just now, during more than 20 uploads combined between posting methods and browsers.

Comment

Working...
                            X