Mother's Day Caddis Madness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Day Caddis Madness

Well, Peter and I had the best tacos in Central Oregon for lunch, and then went to the river although it's still running quite high. The Mother's Day caddis were hatching like there's no tomorrow. Caddis everywhere -- in the air, in the trees, on the water, on us -- thousands upon thousands of caddis.... but were there rises? There were not. Not one!

This hatch can drive a person crazy. In desperation, I tied on a Prince nymph under a bushy indicator fly and managed to hook two whitefish and land one.

Still, the river looked pretty good for the level it's at. If they drop it another couple hundred cfs by Memorial Day (AND if there are any trout left in it), it should start fishing well soon.

- JR
    Last edited by J.R.; 05-15-2017, 06:56 PM.

Glad you had fun!

Comment

It was just like previous years LOTS of caddis flies flying about (lots), sunshine in that beautiful Crooked River canyon... only diff? NO (none/not any at all) trout... THE TACOS WERE GREAT!!! (as always) Company was good (as always)

Comment

Where does stated BEST TACO come from??

Comment

• J.R.
          J.R. commented
          Editing a comment
          PM coming....

• coleman
          coleman commented
          Editing a comment
          what is it with the secret pie and taco stands?

• J.R.
          J.R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, well, ok, find the taco truck on the main drag in Prineville, and you're there.
          They're good folks who run the place, so I'll give them a plug even if it means I'll have to wait in line behind you all....

SHHHHHH! it's a secret....

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. View Post

Still, the river looked pretty good for the level it's at. If they drop it another couple hundred cfs by Memorial Day (AND if there are any trout left in it), it should start fishing well soon.
          - JR
          Thanks for the report. Any idea what the level was when you fished? I see it's dropped down into the mid 200s cfs today. Was thinking about taking my little girl out this wkend to camp and fish a little bit. Swinging caddis soft hackles seems like a good way to get her hooked up. Thanks.

Comment

• J.R.
            J.R. commented
            Editing a comment
            It was around 500 cfs. Mid 200s is good - I guess they're aiming at 200 or so for the Memorial Day weekend....

- JR

• striper42
            striper42 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks JR
        Working...
        X