Deschutes Report--Forget "Usual"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deschutes Report--Forget "Usual"

I fished yesterday--Tuesday--in the Maupin area. My compadre finished a float from Trout Creek the day before. A few salmonflies and goldens were out in the Maupin area, but not many had hatched yet. They're coming, though. My friend said they were thick below Trout Creek--"thousands" in the bankside grass.

The salmonfly hatch is dependent on water temperature, so the usual scenario is that it starts in the lower river because the water has more time to warm up as it flows downstream. Then the hatch works its way upstream. But this year it seems to be working in reverse. I wonder if the cool spring weather, combined with the warmer output from Pelton Dam, has river getting colder as it flows downstream. So we have a reverse of the usual situation. Whatever . . . attempts to time this hatch are often futile; it happens when and where it happens.

Warmer weather should arrive Thursday, and this weekend will be warm and sunny. That should get the big bugs moving in the Maupin area. Usually it takes a few days for trout to switch to the adults, and next week may be best for dry flies around Maupin. But "usually" doesn't seem to be an operative word this year, so be prepared for anything.

Yesterday evening I drove home in a snow storm. There was snow on US 26 from twelve miles east of Government Camp to five miles west. That doesn't "usually" happen in mid-May, either!

Scene on US 26 Tuesday evening. It got worse.

Yes, it's been a very unusual hatch so far, and I think it's all weather/temperature related. I've spent several days on the river and caught a few fish, but it's been slow. There have been lots of bugs around, but even though there have been huge evening flights I've yet to see any egg layers and almost no bugs on the water. The fish seem somewhat interested, but unsure, as they often come up for a look a or a slap at a fly but seldom make a full aggressive take. A little warm, stable weather will cure all that.

Comment

What a crazy weather year! When I was in Maupin a couple weekends ago, there were people everywhere, and waaaaay more people down low below Sherars then I've seen in a long time.....thing is, fishin was slow, and I think they were lookin for the big bugs down there......interesting how the big bugs are appearing this spring.

And then theres the infamous mixing tower, and its effect on the temp and nutrient load, which in turn affects the the insect "portfolio", which affects the things that eat em and so on and so forth.......for those of us who got to experience the D in all her glory before the mixing tower, it's just sad......no comparison in the quality of the fishery....now you catch a nice fish and it's covered with black spot disease......sorry about the rant, it's just so depressing to see our beloved river degraded.....it seems so ridiculous, yet here we are...

maybe I'll see you guys out there sunday....

Comment

Uncle Fuzzy.....I ran into you and your compadre in Maupin yesterday morning and am curious to know how successful you were fishing in windy conditions that at times was almost brutal. Better than mine I hope.

Comment

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Right--the Bob Duck shirt! I remember now.

I didn't fish very hard, but I landed three in the morning and two in the afternoon when it was windiest. All on nymphs.

A) The weather has been inconsistent, ranging a few warm days to mid-May snow. The stones get going and the trout on them when there has been a stretch of warm weather. Not really sure we've had that "stretch" yet.

B) It isn't really late when the weather is considered, and as others have pointed out this week may be the beginning of the warm days that get the fish on the adults.

C) I hope DRA is taking temp measurements on several spots in different sections of the river. I would suspect that's the case but don't know it is. It will help explain how the hatch moves in the river now.

Comment

I was out there yesterday, too. Very windy, and I didn't see many bugs till they started crawling on me. Got several in my ears. The wind made long casts difficult, but as in other years, the fish hung out close to the bushes because that's where the bugs are. A short cast to pockets close in works best for me. I got four on top and one with a nymph.
          There were the normal pteronacys big dark orange stones, a few goldens, and a bunch of skinny versions of the big ones. I encountered a guy who seemed to be knowledgeable, and he called them "winter stones" which is an unfamiliar name to me. He reported getting a 16" fish which was only 9" more than my biggest.

Comment

Working...
          X