2017 Yard and Garden Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Yard and Garden Thread

I know a lot you out in Westfly world enjoy growing things as much as myself. Let's see what you got going...

Finally finished planting my veggie garden yesterday.

And for those of you who don't like gardening, I've always found the lyrics to this song pretty damn funny.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...vant+gardener+
    Attached Files
    Last edited by soxfan; 05-27-2017, 11:14 AM.

Nice work, gotta get mine in this week
    you growing any oddities or just the standard stuff

Comment

Just because you said "yard" and garden. Only some small flowers beds here BUT I have a yard. Nine pine trees 40'+ in the yard. Every time the wind blows 15-20 mph we've got pine cones to pick up.. A couple days ago the wind got to 60+ mph. Took the wife and I 7 hours to clean up the whole place. The pic is only a small portion of our property and it all looked the same.
      Last edited by Mel-S; 05-27-2017, 02:20 PM.
      BBbbrrrpppppppp!!

Comment

One of my raised beds 5th year now. Started my plants from seed in April. Gardening in Bend is a challenge for sure.
        Anj

Comment

I've gotta get busy...I haven't even started yet this year...probably get started this weekend though...

Comment

Nice work Fellas!

Anj, I really like that hoop house and I am looking to get into building a couple next spring... rough for me, no pics. I feel like I am gardening in a lava field....

S.C.I.

Comment

Here's a couple from today. Things are progressing nicely. Good job everybody!

Comment

If you have organic gardening queries ask me...i have an answer...45 years...been into it before it was cool...share seeds with folks...save em...I ain't braggin' I know a thing or two...I don't have many opportunities to share what i know...and I gotta say with the trends abounding...they want your money...i know ways around that...simple ones...I am an old hippy gardener and I grow the sheet out of stuff...Okay bragging over...Ha!

Comment

I'm eating peas kale and lettuce already from my raised bed. Tomatoes and herbs are coming next

The peas are a real sweet treat. I just graze...
                  The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Some very cool gardens posted here!

Vertical garden update: This is our second crop of greens. We had several salads from the first planting. Sunday we added some Italian Roaster peppers to see how they do in this environment. (Never had much luck with peppers in the ground). The one I built at work has kale, Swiss chard, lettuces, peas, and herbs ready to harvest. Not sure what to replant after that. Open for suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	3225

Bill
                    Last edited by Caddisman; 05-31-2017, 05:52 AM.
                    http://caddisman.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Nice build out Caddisman! I see the design, do you find this to work better than the pallet garden? I bet this is less heavier...

S.C.I.

Comment

• Caddisman
                        Caddisman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, S.C.I. I don't have experience with a pallet garden, but I'm sure this structure is lighter, being made with sched. 40 PVC, and filter fabric felt. Each row has a 1/4" inline drip lines with emitters every 6". The flow is distributed further by the felt. I'm planning another using felt on a 6"x8" grid, galvanized cattle panel for a display of various sedum species. We'll see...

Excellent info! I wouldn't have thought to integrate the watering system into the build... very smart my Man!

Comment

this weekend and next week...adding a 4th yard of amendment soil...some worm castings,,,about 25 gallons , cottonseed meal kelp and bonemeal a bit of mixing and start planting our tomato starts...about 30 this year...Flashy trouts back lettuce to pick...good asparagus crop a while back and our alpine strawberries are looking great ...won't be long...we have some pineaplle flavored yellow ones too...peppers planted...hot ones and pimentos, paprika plants...Hoping for a great aji pepper crop...,,,too much to do...c hiropractor visit in my future...

Comment

I have some heirloom and hybrid tomatoes, some banana peppers, and some serranos. They're still pretty small, but are already flowering. Do you guys pinch back the early flowers, or just go ahead and let them set fruit?
                          Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• Skipper
                            Skipper commented
                            Editing a comment
                            usually small but flowering indicates a plant adjusting to the place it's feet are bound...it's job is to mature and make fruit an seed...so if you think it's just the crappy spring weather and say a 4" or 6" pot...I'd pinch the blooms and plant deep...in amended soil...it'll get used to the new real estate

• PhilR
                            PhilR commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Skip. They've been in the ground about 3 weeks, from small pots like you said. Already planted deep, so I'll give them a good pinch.

I have an apple tree.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X