ID:	3380

- JR

Similarly disappointing : Willamette falls
    http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/fish...thly_sheet.pdf
    (scroll down for monthly totals)
    And over time:
    http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/fish..._1946_2016.pdf

Comment

No, it isn't, and the forecasts are for a bleak return this year. Must have been the heat and low water a few years ago. I think I'll be spending more time on the lakes this summer.
      Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

A week later, and still very little upturn. This could be a grim, grim year.....

- JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	steelhead-count-bonneville-dam.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	3477

Comment

From what I have heard from a few "experts", it was the ocean conditions. A shift in the usual glut of food provisions due to (dare I say it) climate change.

Bill
          http://caddisman.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Yeah, for once the predictions appear to be coming true.....

- JR

Comment

Still looking grim. 125 or so over the Dalles yesterday. Guess I really will end up painting the house this fall.
              Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

All it takes is One! Past two years I've hooked up on the swing and they were considered low count years too. The banner year a few years back I didn't get as single touch. It's pretty grim but I'm itching to swing the big rod...and I need to be in that damn canyon for as part of my health so I might as well be fishing.

Comment

I have gotten to know Rob Crandall (Water Time Outfitters) fairly well over the last few years and talked to him about this a couple weeks ago. Since a fair amount of his livelihood depends on this and since he has very good connections to the fish biology community I was interested to hear what his take was. He believes the low return is going to stand and it is due to the really low snowpack which led to poor smolt survival two years ago combined with bad ocean conditions. The smolt survival/"migration out" rate this year was good and we are coming out of the El Nino cycle so he is expecting two years from now to be much better. He is actually discouraging clients from spending the money on the D trips this fall, which speaks to his integrity. FWIW he has developed/found a good smallmouth fishery in the valley here as another way to make ends meet. Sign of the times I guess.

Comment

Returns have picked up a bit, then dropped this last week (not an uncommon thing). It's a low return year for sure.

Silver Lining Department: fewer fish but probably fewer fishermen too. Your favorite runs less crowded....

- JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	steelhead-count-bonneville-dam.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	4172

Comment

• later, Peter
                      later, Peter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      look at you... "Half full"
                  Working...