Hot weather?...no problem. Umpy report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot weather?...no problem. Umpy report

I was on the main stem Umpqua down near Elkton chasing the red-eyed devils.

(insert standard smallie pic here)

The wet wading is fine for hot weather, and an occasional slip only leads to further evaporative cooling.

Fishing was good for smaller fish 5-10 inches with a few chunkier ones around but harder to catch.

I use a small clouser, or for even more fun, a small gurgler on top.

Your pal, Stevie
    The Catchin' Ninny

Cool report. ;-)

Comment

It's all about the FUN.

Comment

I spent last week fishing small mouth up higher in the Umpqua . The fish I was catching were running six to twenty inches. From twenty to fourty between 12 and 20 inches a day. finally went up to eight pound test the last day becxause I was breaking so many off. Fact I even broke one off on the eighr pound test leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny Tim View Post
          I spent last week fishing small mouth up higher in the Umpqua . The fish I was catching were running six to twenty inches. From twenty to fourty between 12 and 20 inches a day. finally went up to eight pound test the last day becxause I was breaking so many off. Fact I even broke one off on the eighr pound test leader.
          Hi there ...is this TimTom? I figured a smallie report would bring you out...

Does the water seem a little high compared to years past?

Cheers, S
          The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Sweet report!

Comment

Nice that you are able to get into quite a few bigger fish. Might have to give it a shot instead of our typical John Day trip one of these years. How is the access? All I can find on the web is talk of "the loop" near Elkton - private land.

Comment

adding public access to the search helps... Link is supposed to go to a .pdf with 50 places to fish within 60 mintues of Roseburg. More research to do.
                Last edited by Patrick; 07-15-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I was going to post about my “New River Crush” being the lower Ump. I’ve never been to the area and took my kids from Thursday till this afternoon. I didn’t fly fish at all but got my kids into some 12-14” smallies. Tyee Camp was filled on Thursday so we ended up at Ump Riverfront RV resort up the road and it worked out better because there’s easy access to frog water to paddle around. I think there was a rhondi of sorts going on with area fly fishers because half the camp were fly fishers.

I bought my kids little yaks a month ago and they have served us well. They are super stable and once the kids get the hang of it they cut through the water really well. It was surreal being out on my Stand Up giving the kids freedom to work the water on their own and nail fish. Both kids hooked fish on jigs they tied but we ended up worming it as well because the fish were more line shy and fickle than I thought they’d be.

The area is really tailor made for kids. Shallow shelves to wade, bait to catch with nets, upstream wind keeps them almost stationary, and willing fish! The silty sand is a barefoot fisherman’s dream. We’ll be back for sure and I can’t wait to go back on my own to nail this hog that came out from under shelf. It rushed my kid’s jig when he was on my SUP and stopped just short.

Filleted a dozen fish and caught a few crawdads in the traps for a classic meal last night.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	3909 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	3910 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	3911 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	3912 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_729.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	3913
                  Last edited by Mr. Chin; 07-15-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve, It's Tom, not spending as much time fishing smallmouth as usual. The trout fishing in Washington has been so good the last three years. Up there you get a better selection of speicies. Three types of Cutts,several types of Rainbow, Brookies and Browns. Found the pattern on the Umpqua the week I was a little unusual. The big fish were laying on sand and gravel in six to seven feet of water. What clued me in was the first two large smallmouth I lansded were spitting out six in lampfrey instead of crawdads. For the rest of the week it was like taking candy from a baby. Would like to go back but I can here the Blck Rockfish calling.

Comment

Working...
                    X