Double Header - East Lake/Deschutes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Header - East Lake/Deschutes

Just a quick report from this past weekend; made a trip to East Lake in the morning, and the Lower Deschutes for the evening. Though there was definitely an algae bloom at East Lake, managed to bring a half dozen rainbows to hand, a couple large blackwater trout in the 18"+ range. Most fish were on a small redish chironomid pattern, but got some really nice fish that hammered a callibaetis cripple pattern on top before it got too choppy. For the evening, headed to the lower Deschutes, and even though the river was a little higher and cooler than usual for this time of year, hooked another half dozen redsides, and landed some beefy head-shakers in the 17 to 18"+ range. Though there was some decent dry fly action, there were not the usual clouds of caddis and trout going crazy for them right at sunset. Will probably wait a week or two before going back...

- Paul
    Last edited by paulj992; 07-18-2017, 12:36 AM.

Well done sir

Thanks for the report
    The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Paul, Very nice double header. Congrats. I did that few years ago - East, then Deschutes on way home, bingo, nice one. Good choice on callibaetis, that has been my best fly at East. I am fond of a callibaetis pattern called "The Orb."

Comment

Not a bad day!

Comment

I can think of worse ways to spend the day!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Parmentier View Post
            Paul, Very nice double header. Congrats. I did that few years ago - East, then Deschutes on way home, bingo, nice one. Good choice on callibaetis, that has been my best fly at East. I am fond of a callibaetis pattern called "The Orb."
            The Orb looks promising. Do you have a recipe for the pattern?'

EDIT: Found it! https://swittersb.wordpress.com/2009...ayfly-emerger/
            Last edited by chukar; 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM. Reason: Found the recipe.

Comment

Working...
            X