Maybe Fishing Doesn't Actually Suck So Bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Fishing Doesn't Actually Suck So Bad

I just called around a bunch of fly shops and checked their websites. General opinion: fishing isn't that bad right now, and hardly anyone is doing it. Of course, the claim could be made that shops have a vested interest in convincing you that fishing is fantastic, but I talked to some people whose opinion I trust. Of course, the smoke thing is a problem in some areas.

The Deschutes is deserted, the water temp has stayed cool, the smoke has cleared out (for now, anyway), and the White River ain't misbehavin'. Steelhead fishing is not great, but better than last year, and you have your pick of the prime runs. Trout fishing is not too bad either.

All in all, things could be a lot worse.

Yup. I've been telling my buddies that there are More Fish Per Fisherman this year. Didn't get a single bump on the big numbers years but nailed one or two in the past three years when it was considered low-count years. You just never know unless you go.

Comment

I've been trying other things this summer, since the returns have been so low. The siren call of the D is haunting me, tugging me eastward, and I think I'll untie myself from the mast this weekend.
      Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

Sure didn't look that way to me coming home from Gold Lake! Middle fork was crawling with a fishermans hatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawbugger View Post
          Middle fork was crawling with a fishermans hatch.
          Probably all those people who check out westfly . . .

Comment

I think there is a definite Westfly connection.

Comment

Went over to the D yesterday with SCI and fished below Beavertail. No steel were sighted, and didn't even pull my usual stunt of snagging a sucker. Trout fishing in the afternoon was really tough too. Might have been the change in the weather putting the fish down, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.
              Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

... or, maybe SCI was throwing rocks the whole time (you just didn't see him)...

Comment

Sure, but according to the gospel of Teeny, that should have stirred up the bite.

Comment

Fishing never sucks; not fishing sucks. I broke my ankle August 2 and had surgery August 15. I laid around on the couch and lived in a black cloud inside my skull for four weeks. This week, I got the green light from my orthopedist to fish. I went to the Cowlitz on Monday and cautiously waded three runs. Got a couple of searun cutties. Yesterday, I was out again and got three SRC and a steelie! The steelie was a small hatchery hen, but I was thrilled. This year the returns on the Cowlitz have been low, and maybe I used up some bad karma getting injured and some good karma getting the fish.
                    I have been rained on hard and stood navel deep in icy water for hours and even days without touching a fish. I would not trade those days away. Thank you, Lord, for the chance to get out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X