Santiam(s) with mixing towers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santiam(s) with mixing towers...

The North and South forks could get the ill fated mixing towers at Detroit and Foster.
    Haven't they learned enough about them on the Deschutes?

http://democratherald.com/news/commi...home-top-story

Yeah, they should be very careful. Although, it's a different scenario on the Santiam. LBC has three rivers flowing into it, with different temps and nutrient/chemistry loads. Cold Metolius water flows under the warmer water from the Crooked, with its hostile chemistry. Is this likely to be an issue on the Santiam? I just don't know much about that river.
    Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

Ugh....

spend millions and millions on something that is a bandaid at best, for anadromous fish, and most likely will be bad for the overall health of the watershed.....sounds like a great idea!

Comment

A band aid maybe, but better than nothing. Anything that opens up more spawning ground can't inherently be bad. Unless of course, it's being managed much like the Deschutes project. I'd like to hear more about what they are proposing. On a system like the Santiam/Willamette just about everything up there is artificial anyways.

Despite PGE's failures on the Deschutes they've actually had remarkable success on the Clackamas North Fork Dam. The system works a lot differently because the Clack is mostly a run of the river type system, but they are seeing an uptick in the amount of returning salmonids across all species and oddly enough, the Clack basin was returning more fish this year even as almost every other Columbia basin was in the toilet. Blowing up dams is cool and all, but there are a lot of groups out there trying to figure out how to improve salmonid returns, some of them work and some don't ever get off the ground.

For a system like the Santiam in all seems kind of mute give the sea lion buffet going on at he falls these days...

Comment

Yea, each system is totally different, I get that, and I'm glad folks are trying to figure out ways to save anadromous fish.....but pardon me if I don't have a lot of confidence in A) outcomes, and B) overall intentions. The fact that lower Deschutes trout fishery has been marginalized, jeopardized, and impacted negatively the way it has, makes me lose faith in the system completely....I'm not ok with harming native trout populations to help hatchery anadromous fish...are there good intentions in all this? Sure, but money interests will win out in the end.......Thank God for DRA!
          Last edited by pigs; 01-14-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Updated Info...
            http://democratherald.com/news/cooli...eee4fed11.html

It appears Detroit Reservoir may still be a go, but I don't see how it would be that effective with it's goals, considering there is Big Cliff Reservoir just below it. Cooling tower in the lower of the two would make more sense (imo).

Comment

Not sure where the Big Cliff releases from, if it is a bottom release it could be OK. Since it is a relatively small reservoir, does the water warm up that much? If you dumped warm water from Detroit, would you be able to cool it, or vice versa, if you dumped cold water from Detroit, would you be able to warm it? Don't really know that much about it, just thinking out loud (so to speak).

cheers

Comment

• FinLuver
                FinLuver commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Chris,

Detroit for the most part is bottom release (I believe). Why my question, is basically because there is no river per se between the base of the Detroit and the pool of the Big Cliff Reservoir. Big Cliff Reservoir is maybe a 1 or 3 miles in length. I don't know the temperature or temperature strata of both bodies of water, so it may be that Big Cliff is warmer than Detroit and could get a cooler incoming water supply. Thus giving the North Santiam a cooler flow...salmon spawn in the upper reaches and possibly to the base of Big Cliff.
                (Just my unscientific take on it...)
                Last edited by FinLuver; 01-23-2018, 06:34 PM.

warmer water may not be an issue up there like it is on the lower D.....I think the upstream land use more closely resembles the metolius than the crooked.

Comment

Chris, if the objective is to manage the water temp below the dam complex, they'll just adjust the mix at the upper dam to hit the temp target at the re-reg dam. Is that what you were asking?
                Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• Canuck from KS
                  Canuck from KS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, the question from Fin was why don't they put the mixing tower in the lower reservoir, my thought is because it is relatively small with relatively rapid passthrough, there are likely relatively small temperature gradients in the lower res, so a mixing tower would not be that effective, more effective in the mush larger Detroit Res - I just didn't state it very well. - cheers

• PhilR
                  PhilR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got it, and I agree. Plus, part of the goal is to capture smolts for transfer at the dam.

Trying to bring it back to the way it was without bringing down the dam is flawed thinking to begin with. The runs are screwed by so many other factors. Just leave it be and protect the undammed rivers that have wild runs. They would have to drain Detroit for up to two years for the project so it'd be easy pickings in the remaining water. It'd be fun to walk the old channel and pick off fish. I actually like the stump filled landscape of drawn down reservoirs.

One guy left a comment on an article I read that they should use 'one of those stump grinders' when the water is drawn down so boaters don't damage their props. Hah! Sure dude.

Comment

• FinLuver
                  FinLuver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  During the recent drought year, a couple of years ago, it was lights out fishing. I like to fish it for the "hold overs"...they are big and brawny...an quite tasty too. I found a nice rod one year...cleaned 'er up...the next year caught my first steelhead on it.

waste of our money...... its already ruined .....

Comment

Working...
                X