2018 Winter steelhead reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Winter steelhead reports

I would like to see your 2018 efforts to catch Winter steel posted here. Both successful and unsuccessful reports are welcome. I don't fish much anymore except for Coho and steel. The coho season was pretty good at five for seven on brief evening trips. If only winter steel was as easy as coho. At 77 years old my trips are close to home and limited in time on the water. However, I can't shake a lifetime steelhead addiction. I only fish the Clackamas and Sandy now. So far I have made two evening trips to the Clack. Skunked of course. I have many rods and lines so have focused on the best fit for the waters I fish. I settled on my 13.5ft Hardy, compact Skagit and five feet intermediate five foot T14 tip. Casts great for me and swings at the depth I want. I have reported before about "the good old days" with a lot of catching. Now, it is fishing and satisfied with fresh air, exercise and good presentations. I look forward to reading Westfly reports. Nice that a lot of you are out there. Would enjoy seeing some of you on the river. Say hello if you see an old guy stumbling around who always has a beaver stick homemade wading staff hanging off his back. Sad the weather is so bad today or I would be out there.

I've been thinking along the same lines as you Phil. I haven't been out as much as I usually do either, but I've seen a whole lot of people chucking feathers when I do get out, so I know your all out there creeping on the local rivers.

Here's my contribution.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelhead1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	5875

Comment

• Crawbugger
      Crawbugger commented
      Editing a comment
      You can catch large trout. Great job.

Well. Today, I rode along with some good mates on a 180 mile loop to catch a rising river for an hour before it blew. Then I napped and occasionally picked my head up to look at muddy unfishable torrents.

Comment

• PhilR
      PhilR commented
      Editing a comment
      And some fine baked goods

• Clarkman
      Clarkman commented
      Editing a comment
      You know it's bad when the first run you fish, which is also the last run you fish, has risen by several inches in the couple of hours in between fishing it.

A couple tries, no slime on my hands yet.
    You don't need no gypsy to tell you why,
    You can't let one precious day slip by.

Comment

I too have less freetime due to having a 2.5year old at home.....so I get out when I can.
      Swinging a 7wt switch w/ skagit shooting head...though maybe i'll try a spinning rod this year as back up.
      I hit up the clack and sandy mainly. ...wilson trask when time allows.
      Saw a bobber/worm/jig guy land one on the clack on Tuesday.
      Hatchery. He bonked it.
      Been out 5 or 6 times so far, no chrome slime for me.
      Still early though.
      Have a guided float planned for the Sandy on Saturday, hoping the levels drop good today.
      Tight lines all.

Glad to be back on the forum, it's been a while.
      New format looks spiffy.

Comment

We should start a tally of hours spent on the water just to see how insane we are hoping for that grab. I'm probably about 15 hours in for winters without a single touch. Ain't no feeeeesh in those rivers.

Comment

• steelheadonly
          steelheadonly commented
          Editing a comment
          I had gone 30 days of winter steelhead fly fishing (over 7 years) of no fish to hand. that is about 120 cigars, 200+ hours and god knows how many miles between the Sandy, N Umpqua and the coast......I finally got a nice fish to hand last month.

What's that fly you got there soxfan? Very cool looking...

I've fished the Umpqua a couple weeks ago, no luck nada.

W

Comment

• soxfan
          soxfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Copper prom dress. When the water is big and colored it stands out like a sore thumb.

I touched this dinky little guy a couple of weeks ago on the ubiquitous mop-worm fly.

Comment

Bounced around the sandy yesterday with AJ for a few hours. Saw a few fisherman but no fish...

Comment

Drifted Oxbow to Dabney.
            nada. heard of one being caught, (small 8lb hatchery)
            but nothing else.
            Even the gear guys were grumbling.
            water color and temp were great,
            maybe a tad high but great conditions.

Comment

Soxfan and I each landed two this morning. Suckers, that is.
              Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• soxfan
                soxfan commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't worry everyone. We left before we limited out.

I've been fishing a popular coastal river about once a week. No fish brought to hand, but I've definitely seen some when the water has gotten low and clear. Went out today and everyone else was also fishing. I did see one fish caught on gear. He pulled it out of a main current I thought was way too strong. Gotta cast everywhere, I guess!

Comment

Nice to see a good active thread on Winter steel. Made my third trip today to fish the last hour of light on the Clack. A few other people on the run. I was the only one to have SUCCESS. Well, at least I caught something. First whitefish ever swinging for steel. A good 15 inches. Felt so good to feel something alive on the end of the line. Water is perfect but dry day tomorrow means golf. Hope for some fishing opportunities in the rainy days ahead.

Comment

Did my part yesterday to be one of the 90% who only catch 10% of the fish.... nice day though. Water seemed perfect, not a bump.....

Comment

I went out for about two hours in mid December when the Sandy was low, the sky clear, and a howling wind in my face and got nothing. On a guided float on 1/2/18, I got a nice buck. I have a perfect 1 for 1 score in 2018. I will spoil that soon. I am going to Haida Gwaii Jan 20-27. Usually get fish there. I will make a trip report.

Comment

Working...
                    X