Cascade lakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascade lakes

With the degradation of my go-to fishin hole (D around Maupin) I've decided I want to get back into the still water game.

While im always more of a walk/wade river guy, I did a fair amount of still water trout in Northern NV and the Eastern Sierra.

anyway, I'm not looking so much for specifics, and pm's are welcome if you don't like to broadcast info......I've never fished the Cascade lakes and I'm gettin myself all learned up and tying flies, etc for the coming season, and I'm just looking for maybe a lil help and good conversation in winter.

so far I'm very interested in East and Hosmer.....I'm going to be getting around in either a pontoon or raft with electric trolling motor or oars.

One specific question I have so far is about the East Callibaetis hatch....I know it's multi brooded, and the size starts out bigger, and progressively gets smaller....seems like size 14 early season? Maybe even some 12's? I was thinkin it'd be good to have those sizes all the way down to 18's maybe?

Comment

I have been successful at most of those lakes with this fly.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Hares Ear.png
Views:	1
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	6062
      TC
      I like Phamily, Phriends, Phly-Phishing, and Phood......wouldn't you know it, I live in Philomath, Oregon!

Comment

• dragginfly
        dragginfly commented
        Editing a comment
        The dime as a background makes it a little hard for my old eyes to pick up the details...... could you share the recipe? I have come to enjoy fishing chironomids, but a fly to retrieve once in a while would be nice.

Nice and chewed up

Comment

Cortland Clear Camo line, 12-15 feet of 3x Frog Hair Fluorocarbon tippet. Strip it slow, medium, or fast. Wind drift or slow troll it. Catches lots of Trout, Kokes, Whities, and surprisingly very few Tui Chub.
        TC
        I like Phamily, Phriends, Phly-Phishing, and Phood......wouldn't you know it, I live in Philomath, Oregon!

Comment

Right on Camel, appreciate the info.......are we thinkin East Lk rondi this year?

Comment

If you figure out the damsels on Hosmer, please fill me in. You might consider Wickiup too - with quickly dropping levels it can be tough to find fish, but they are rarely small when you find them.

Comment

Not your typical fly fishing but with the mild temps Macs and Big Browns might already be shallow enough on a few lakes to make tempting them with a fly worth it. A 10 or even 20 lb fish off a small craft such as a SUP or tube would be good stuff. It's on my bucket list.

Comment

Gold, Gold, Gold!!!

Comment

Wickiup is definately on my list.....I've gathered a bit of Intel on sight fishin along shore.

Comment

Check ur pm's Chin.....I responded to something from a while back.

I like the idea of off season big fish......who doesnt?

Comment

I gave up on Hosmer 20 years ago when the kayak hatch got to be too much...can't imagine it's gotten better. I only enjoyed fishing there really early or really late in the season on years when low snowpack made it possible. Sometimes you could have the place to yourself. Though I've been tempted to venture back for the new rainbows and cutts, but too much water, too little time...

I've never been too worried about matching size for the callibaetis hatch on East, size 10-12 nymphs and size 14 dries always did me well when I lived over that way. I worried more about color, I carried nymphs and dries tied in shades of olive, dull yellow, tan (hare's ear) and dark brown. Sometimes switching color really made a difference for me. In particular I noticed brown did best on bright sunny days and olive on dark overcast days.

I spent my teenage years and my adult life to this point learning Wickiup and it wasn't easy, and there's always more to learn. There's no one key as I know different people have their different methods, but I've found what works for me. All I'll say is if you can put in the time, the rewards are tremendous. If I could only get over there more than once every couple of years nowadays...

I tend to trend toward lakes with less competition these days, and if I ever get time to make an extended trip over that way I want to put in some time at non-traditional fly fishing lakes like Odell, Cultus, Suttle, Elk, etc.

Another lake worth a look is Sparks if you have the means to get around it. You are unlikely to have much competition for fishing. It's too shallow and big for a float tube. A pontoon can get you around if you're motivated, but in lower water years you may have to even get out and push in places. Kayak/canoe would be ideal. I've found this lake to be really hot/cold, I've either had days where I swear its fishless, or days when I've lost count of how many I've caught. I think it really depends on good water years stacking up on top of each other.
                      https://flyfishingwithdrdan.wordpress.com/

Comment

Good stuff Dan, thanks! I walked the trail at suttle last fall lookin for cruisers to no avail.....prolly get the boat out there this year.

Comment

Come on up to the East Lake rondi. Fishing can be up and down, but lots of good info shared. Plus food and fun. Where do you live? There are a few lakes around PDX that are good in the spring.
                          Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

"Cortland Clear Camo line, 12-15 feet of 3x Frog Hair Fluorocarbon tippet. Strip it slow, medium, or fast. Wind drift or slow troll it. Catches lots of Trout, Kokes, Whities, and surprisingly very few Tui Chub."

Not to worry Mel! Spend some time with me and I'll have you inundated with tui chub. One morning last year I caught 9 or 10 in a row. By the time I left the water the eagles and osprey had voted me Man of the Year.

Very Truly Yours,

The Chub King

Comment

Working...
                            X