March 2018 Arts & Crafts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 2018 Arts & Crafts

How about a little color to start this month? Spring is nearing (hopefully).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrace.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	513.4 KB
ID:	6351

Terrace with Beehive, 12"x16", gouache on paper.

This is of a landscape that my team and I designed and built for a long time friend and client a few years back. As of early last summer it had grown in, putting on the show we had hoped for, thanks to their attentive maintenance.

Bill
    http://caddisman.deviantart.com/gallery/

Just beautiful Bill, wish my back looked like that, kinda just plain white right now. Thanks for a great start to the month!

cheers

Comment

That looks wonderful! I wish to see more.

Comment

Two pretty pieces of work there, Bill.

- JR

Comment

WOW! Amazing how fast internet forums and social media are changing almost day to day! This used to be the one of the most participated, and viewed topics here, with contributions from a wide variety of media, and skill level. Gone cyber-elseware I suppose.

And just to keep up with the tech/art in my old-self way, here's a digital sketch of a cow parsnip exploding in bloom, done from an "old school" pencil sketch I did some time ago. I plan to do a "real" painting in gouache in the near future, but this tool lets me make some color, and composition decisions before I start.

Bill

Comment

• FinLuver
            FinLuver commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd like to like it, but all I see a black box with a white X... [sigh]

Just my opinion, but in the case of the Arts and Crafts thread, the new format has to bear some of the responsibility. (for instance, I can't see your image that you posted).

I'm reasonably tech savvy, but have yet to figure out how to post an image in a regular size that allows you guys to actually view it as something other than a thumbnail. The fault is mine for not investing the time to figure it all out (and for being reluctant to upload images to yet another site instead of just linking to where they exist on another site, like Flickr) but I've quit posting mostly because there doesn't seem to be any point if the images are postage-stamp sized.

Comment

oh, and I realize, it's not the "new" format any longer. lol.

Comment

Hey, Mr. Butner! Glad to see you here! Instructions for posting images that don't come out the size of postage stamps are in this post (it's a "sticky" at the top of the list of forum topics)
              aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                Hey, Mr. Butner! Glad to see you here! Instructions for posting images that don't come out the size of postage stamps are in this post (it's a "sticky" at the top of the list of forum topics)
                I've tried (and failed) with those instructions at least four times over the past year. Eventually, I'll build up enough patience to try again. I guess the question that I'm most interested in is: is there a way to simply embed a FLickr image in the post, as in the past? As a photographer, that lets me go to ONE source to update/alter an image instead of every place I've ever posted it.

Comment

• Caddisman
                  Caddisman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know, Scott, I've seen plenty of your beautiful contributions here at full size with no problem. And it's pretty easy to resize an image to max 900 pix in the greatest dimension, and save to your desktop instead of a link before uploading in this format. Maybe a settings adjustment on your PC/Mac is all that is needed. But I disqualify myself as the one to solve your posting/viewing problems...age thing.

And, I am totally with you on the, "if it's not broken, don't fix it" cyber opinion. I recently had to abandon a wonderful CAD program, that I had become a master at over several years because it was no longer "supported". I had to start over after 20 years of super efficient drawing, designing, building a huge plant data base, and the new program is a mere shadow of it in terms of accuracy and speed....rant over...also an age thing.

• Scott Butner
                  Scott Butner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  they always show up as thumbnails on my browser, assumed they did on others as well. I size my images for Flickr so that I can retrieve the high res version if I need to without always having to dig up the hard drive where the original is stored (I am up to 20 external hard drives currently, so it can be non-trivial) -- resizing for this site requires making and managing two copies of any photos I choose to post -- not a DIFFICULT task, but just more hassle than it's worth some days. I can post the same image in my preferred format to Instagram, Facebook, Flickr and even Twitter without modification, so it's a case of "odd man out"

Cow Parsnip, guache on paper, 10"x14"

Name:	cow parsnip.jpg
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	6435

Bill

Comment

Name:	03.04.18.jpg
Size:	6.25 MB
ID:	6445

Comment

• Caddisman
                    Caddisman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great shot, Jeremy! Snowy owl?

More digital studies with spring subjects:

Red-winged Blackbird

Name:	redwing.jpeg
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	6513

Song Sparrow

Name:	song sparrow.jpeg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	6493

Bill (doesn't feel like spring yet)
                  Last edited by Caddisman; 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM. Reason: Somehow the red-winged black bird became a question mark. So I re-posted it.

Comment

Digital or not, that's a pretty piece of work, Bill.

- JR

Comment

I was going to submit a photo this month, and even took my camera and tripod to the North Umpqua last week. But I went fishing first, and the temperature dropped to near freezing. Then it started sleeting and my hands went numb. So I went back to my truck to warm up, and my photographic urges evaporated.

Instead, here's the first third of a recent short story.

A-M-O-R

May 10, Evening
                      Maupin

"Early Tom Cruise movie." Dave Jansen said.

"How many letters?" his wife, Clarissa, asked.

Dave and Clarissa were propped up in bed--her reading a book, him doing the crossword--as was their nightly routine on days when Dave wasn't guiding fly anglers on the Deschutes River. He counted the spaces on his crossword. "Thirteen. Third letter is an S. So's the last letter."

"Might be Risky Business."

He wrote in R-I-S-K-Y-B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S, which fit perfectly, then laid down the puzzle and thought about the disturbing rumor he'd heard that day: Benny Moon was planning to open a fly fishing store in Maupin. The town already had two fly shops, one of which was Dave's. Each had a dedicated but limited clientele--a Risky Business in the best of times. Another fly shop would turn it into Mission Impossible.

He decided not to tell his wife; she would find it worrying. Besides, it was just a rumor. But if it was true . . .

The next morning Dave looked out the window of his shop, which faced Main Street, and saw Benny Moon walk by with Ed Salter, a local realtor who handled both commercial and residential properties.

It was a slow morning, which was not unusual for early May, so Dave had time to ponder his would-be competitor. Benny Moon was a third-generation Korean-American in his late twenties who often came to Maupin during the spring and fall; winters he taught skiing at Crystal Mountain, and summers he worked for Adventure Bound, an outdoor program for teens. So he had the boating and fishing knowledge to succeed as a guide and run a small fly shop.

Further, Benny was focused and tenacious. Dave had once inquired about the tattoo on Benny's right shoulder: they were Korean characters which translated as "Where there is a will, there is a path."

But most of all, Benny had family money--an asset that Dave certainly lacked. Benny's father was a prominent heart surgeon in Seattle, and Benny was supposed to follow the same path as his two elder brothers: go to medical school after getting his chemistry degree. Instead, Benny opted for a gap-year to go skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and fly fishing. One year had expanded into seven, and no end in sight. Dave could see where Benny's family might be wondering when their youngest son was going to stop living out of a VW van and find a respectable career. A fly shop might be a grudging solution.

So Benny had knowledge, drive, motive, and family capital. He might make a go of a combined retail and guiding business. Or, more likely, there wouldn't be enough business for three shops, and they would all struggle until one or two of them went under--and it probably wouldn't be Benny.

Dave stroked his thick, dark beard. What could he do to refocus Benny Moon?

Then it hit Dave like an arrow through the heart: Benny needed a girl friend! Nothing was more distractive to a late-twenties man than a serious love affair. Fit and handsome, Benny was popular with women--and vice versa. But steady relationships weren't part of his pattern. How could Dave make Benny fall in love--real love? And with whom?

The shop's door made an electronic bing-bong, and two people entered. Dave knew them both and knew they weren't together but had just happened to enter at the same time.

"Good morning, Tricia!" Dave said. "Good morning, Steve. How's fishing?"

Steve Schultz, a local man, went on for fifteen minutes about where he'd caught trout yesterday, describing what flies he'd used, and offering many details of interest primarily to himself. Dave listened politely (for fly shop owners, listening to fishing stories is part of the job) and made a show of admiring Steve's photos. Meanwhile, the other customer--Tricia--said nothing.

If Benny Moon had a female counterpart, it was Tricia Snodgrass. Her mother was some sort of executive at Nike's corporate offices in Beaverton, Oregon; her father never appeared in her conversation, so Dave had concluded he was out the picture. Tricia had graduated from Reed College in Portland with a degree in psychology, but had not, as originally intended, pursued a career as an academic. Instead, she helped to run a cross country ski school at Mount Bachelor in the winter, guided youth adventure programs in the summer, and filled the off seasons with fly fishing, backpacking, and running. She was lithe but had extraordinary endurance and an enviable strength-to-weight ratio. Tattoos covered both arms from wrist to shoulder. Her short, spiky hair could be tinted pink, purple, red, orange, or blue, depending on her mood; this was an orange day.

Steve Schultz finally finished telling Dave about his fly fishing triumphs and bought four dollars worth of flies. Then he turned to Tricia and asked, "I saw you around Grassy Camp yesterday. Did you do well?"

"I had a pleasant day," she said guardedly. Dave knew this to be her standard response. She was a good fly angler and had probably done better than Steve.

"I saw Benny Moon near Mecca Flat," Steve said. "He was releasing a big trout." Steve shook his head. "That guy always seems to know which fly to choose."

Dave sucked in his breath. Steve was famously clueless and hadn't twigged what everyone else in Maupin knew: never mention Benny Moon to Tricia and vice versa.

"Of course he's smart about fly choices," Tricia said. "He's kind of a fly brain."

"What?" Steve said. Then he chuckled, "Oh, I get it."

"Actually," Tricia mused, "that's not surprising. I believe his brain is pretty close to his fly. He seems to do much of his thinking with that part of his anatomy."

"Oh?" Steve said, looking confused. "Oh, right!" He laughed nervously. "Well, he does have an eye for the ladies!"

"Yes," Tricia said. "He's God's gift to women. Except I think I'll take that present to the Returns counter: "Excuse me, Sir, but this gift is defective!'"

The door bing-bonged, signaling another visitor. It was Benny Moon. Incoming! Dave thought to himself; he was tempted to duck behind the counter.

"Ah, the Queen of Disdain!" Benny said when he saw Tricia. He put a leg forward, doffed his baseball cap, and bowed deeply with a sweep of his arms, Renaissance style. "Your gracelessness!" he said with mock reverence. "Dave," Benny said, straightening, "do you still book travel? Foreign fly fishing destinations? Distant lands with monstrous fish?"

"Yes—"

"What are the farthest places from here? Show me the brochures."

Dave handed him travel literature for New Zealand, Patagonia, and Mongolia.

Benny passed them to Tricia. "Your Lowness," he said, "I think you should go fishing." He tapped a photo of a taiman, a giant Asian fish. "Mongolia is a good place. Need a ride to the airport?" He turned to Dave. "I think I'll come back when you're had a chance to fumigate." He headed for the door, but before leaving he turned to Tricia and gave another bow. "By your leave, your Malignity."

"You don't have to buy my leave," she said. "I'll give it to you for free! Here!" She flipped her middle finger at him.

After Benny left, Tricia settled back to normal, like nothing had happened, and bought some fly floatant. After she left, Steve said, "So, do those two not like each other?"

When the shop had cleared out, Dave sighed in relief. The Benny/Tricia interchanges were always tense. At least, he thought, I know which woman not to set Benny up with!

Still, his mind kept coming back to the two of them. They seemed like a perfect match, except for that thing of hating each other.

(to be continued)
                      aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Nice, Scott. Looking forward to installments 2 and 3.

Will Tricia murder Benny? Will Benny murder Tricia?
                        Will Tricia start guiding in Benny's shop and the two fall in love?
                        Will Clarissa leave Dave for Tricia? Wait! What?

- JR

Comment

Working...
                        X