Too long ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too long ...

It’s been too long, far too long, and the pup let me know it, the wife let me know it. Between 10 to 12‑hour days and 7-days a week, there just has not been the time. Work has been stupid, crazy stupid, overflowing stupid. I guess that is a good thing, keeps me employed, keeps me off the streets. Actually, in reality, keeps me off the water, and I am almost certain that is not a good thing. I’ve been snipping, I’ve been snapping, irritable, you know, better not look at me sideways or I will snap your head off kind of irritable. The pup let me know it, the wife let me know it. They both insisted, “Ya gotta go!”

So, Saturday morning the pup woke me an hour before my usual stupid hour of rising, 3 hours before the dawn. I tied up a couple of flies to the taste of my first cup. I could already feel the tension easing from my shoulders, the almost permanent furrow in my brow, lightening. I loaded the truck, all the gear, extra pair of dry clothes, thermos of coffee, and my second cup, oh, and of course the pup, don’t forget the pup.

We stopped at the bakery on the way. It was closed, still too early. Damn! Thankfully, she heard me jiggling the door, opened it just as I was turning away, and welcomed me in. The smell of the yeast, butter, coffee tickled my nose. More of the tension was gone. The croissants, turnovers, and cake doughnuts were loaded into the box, but no blueberry muffins, I was too early. Damn! Oh well, the hot cherry turnover, straight from the oven would have to do. It did.

We arrived at the stream, the pup and I, just as the light was starting to break and the darkness ebb. We hiked downstream with the expanding light. Within the hour, there were three, three with the bright colors of spring, three that had put a satisfying bend in the 4-weight. There were also a few of the white variety, and within the next hour, a Bull. The trifecta by 9:00 AM. The previous weeks evaporated, gone, as if they had never been there. Waves of relaxation had taken their place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_DSC05664_1024.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	6554

I gotta go more often.

Cheers

A perfect day. Thanks for the post.
    You don't need no gypsy to tell you why,
    You can't let one precious day slip by.

Comment

Thats it for sure... for some reason I question whether I have the time to fish or not, then like going for a bike ride... I know its the right decision five minutes into it. Awesome!

Comment

Thanks Chris, keep at it....

Comment

I could feel that ease from your shoulders, your brow... pupster time is precious time.

Comment

"Waves of relaxation" That was my favorite part. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck from KS View Post
              I gotta go more often.
              That's one to carve in stone!

aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Dont want to hot spot or anything so PM me if needed; but what bakery?

Comment

• Canuck from KS
                  Canuck from KS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Super secret, very few seem to know of it, Sisters Bakery, Sssshhhhh!

Nice report! I been wanting to head that way.

I'm sorta trained to start fishin late morning to mid day this time of year......looks like you got er done super early....but I guess water temps are pretty constant

Comment

• Canuck from KS
                  Canuck from KS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but the rumor is that this lady does not awaken until after 10:00. This is nothing but a slander, or an intent to mislead.

Know the work "feeling(s)"...
                and quite jelly.

Comment

Always a pleasure to read a good report, to know someone at least is getting out and doing well.

- JR

Comment

nice work Chris !

Comment

Now of this rain would just abate a bit, I could make it up to one of the Cascade lakes and see if Davis or North Twin, for example, are being pre=-season generous.

Comment

Davis is Low. North got trout in Jan. Should be good by mid week.

Comment

Went over yesterday, and had prolly my best day ever there......3 species, and even got a whitey on an articulated streamer!.........hooked in the face too! Hooked an absolute beast of a bow that promptly jumped, spit the hook, gave me the middle fin, and back to the depths.......sent my stuff into the bushes, and left me muttering a few expletives.

Comment

Working...
                          X