Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An actual fishing question -- trout or bass on the John Day, above the North Fork.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An actual fishing question -- trout or bass on the John Day, above the North Fork.

a week or two ago I drove home from Eugene along the "scenic route" which included a long stretch along the John Day River before it reaches the north fork confluence near Kimberly. The water looked like beautiful trout water, but I was without fishing gear or license, and in a hurry to chase the weather and light for photos.

this week, I plan on returning to try to photograph some lightning storms that are predicted for the area and was wondering if there is worthwhile trout fishing (or smallmouth, I'm not picky) and any public access along that stretch? A lot of it looked like mostly private land, but seems like there might be some public access. Any tips?

footnote: depending on the weather forecast, I may opt for Baker City area, which seems to be looking like the more likely spot for lightning storms. I seem to recall some sweet looking moving water south/southwest of there, but didn't note what the river was (I think it came out of the reservoir near Unity). I am pretty clueless when it comes to eastern OR fishing, except for the Crooked I haven't really fished anywhere despite much of it being reasonably close at hand. Again, any tips on combining fishing with my (primarily) photo safari, would be welcome.

That area around Kimberly and upstream is a favorite spot of mine. I think the bass fishing is better downstream but the river is pretty manageable up there, a guy can find spots to wade across (at least in summer) and there are some nice bass around. I have caught 100s of bass through there (mostly small, typical JD), a few suckers, a few pikeminnow and 1 beautiful fish of about 10 inches that I assume was a resident trout rather than a juvenile steelhead.

Lots of private land but down closer to Kimberly there are several public access points and campgrounds. Some long gravel bars. Very cool area.

Comment

thanks, I really enjoyed photographing there, but there are so many hours in the day when the light is only so-so at best, so I might as well fish, right? lol.

Comment

Up higher on the North Fork I have fished the Deslolation Creek trib. There are no bass there and only trout

Comment

Scott, outside of Baker City is the Powder River. Just below the dam maybe 15mins outside town there is lots of public access and willing trout.

Comment

Originally posted by on-the-rise View Post
            Scott, outside of Baker City is the Powder River. Just below the dam maybe 15mins outside town there is lots of public access and willing trout.
            thanks, that must be what I saw when I was there last year, scouting locations from which to photograph the solar eclipse.

Comment

Scott,
              I have a couple cool pictures I took during hunting season in that stretch I will send you. Nothing professional like your stuff but the country is mighty pretty regardless of photographer's skill

Comment

Working...
              X