Davis Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis Report

I had not fished Davis in several years and we have had a string of nice days (LMB like this in my experience) so I took a vacation day today. Not fast and furious action but I hooked 5 big LMB and 9 smaller ones in 10 hours of fishing - 1.4.LMBPH. Most of the fish ate an olive deceiver. Also had some top water action and one on a rabbit strip "worm." I lost one of the big ones after a chaotic 10 or 15 seconds. She dove for cover right away and was strong enough to pull my canoe with her. I was trying to get the anchor in the water so I could pull on her, but she stopped and the canoe didn't. I couldn't quite stay tight .

Those of you that keep fish from Davis, what do you find in their stomachs? For as fat as these fish are, I am surprised to find fairly empty stomachs. Two of these fish had not eaten in a while. Two had been eating tiny scuds 3/8" or so - as you can see below one had just eaten a bunch of them and a few snails. There was one big leech in the cooler when I got home. The 5th fish had a few smaller ones in its belly. This is only the second time I have kept fish. Last time I remember leeches too. I have never found a partially digested fish of any kind - kind of surprising. Maybe someone should dump some tui chubs in there .

I took a temperature reading about noon - 64°. The egg sacks in the big girls didn't look very mature though. There is still time to put a dent in the spawning population.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CoolerOfBass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	6965

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scuds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	6966

Last edited by Patrick; 05-14-2018, 09:28 PM.

MMMMmmm,those are fine eatin' bass!

Last month we found a big crawdad in one and one of those giant water beetles.

PS. Please, everyone, do not release any bass at Davis. Bonk 'em all.
    Last edited by Stevie B; 05-15-2018, 06:40 AM.
    The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

What do you do with an 8 incher? When I say little I mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
        What do you do with an 8 incher? When I say little I mean it.
        Yeah, it's kind of against my natural inclination....same problem with little brookies at Gold Lake. There is no limit on the size or number of bass harvested at Davis and ODFW electro-shocks to try and remove them.

So, in the interest of fisheries management goals, I never release them.

Patrick, I present this as a discussion point and not as a criticism. Congratulations on a fine day of invasive species removal!

Best, Stevie

The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

• Patrick
          Patrick commented
          Editing a comment
          I am glad you did. I considered making them osprey food but just let them go. Do you actually take the time to fillet them?

What part of the lake were you fishing? Ive only been out there once in my boat last year and got skunked hard. Would like to do my part to dent the population + I love fried up bass.

Comment

Great report Patrick. Maybe the bass will get on the bite as the water warms and eggs mature. They get pretty aggressive when sitting on their beds.

Comment

• Patrick
            Patrick commented
            Editing a comment
            That would certainly be fun to fish for them on the beds. Wouldn't that be a strange experience after how much we talk about salmonids on reds.

Interesting about the scuds. . .

As for the bass--bonk 'em all. But I know it's hard for many of us.

Irony: the reason LMB fishing in Davis is so good is because fly anglers bonk so many of them. That keeps them from over populating, which results in many small fish.
          aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Working...
          X