Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical (ok, no, real) scenario and question about fishing along Hwy 97 -- Bend to points south

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical (ok, no, real) scenario and question about fishing along Hwy 97 -- Bend to points south

I am helping a friend drive a 22 foot moving van from Seattle to Santa Barbara, CA next week, and we have discussed the idea of driving at least part of the trip down US 97 (partly to avoid the boredom of I-5, partly to provide some photo ops along the way).

While fishing is not a primary or even secondary purpose of this trip, I MIGHT pack my 3 wt along with a few fly boxes......was wondering if there were any "drive by" fly fishing opportunities of note -- close to the highway, easy to access, and ideally bank fishable so I don't feel compelled to bring waders, boots, and all that goes with that.

I know it's a big ask, but figured I'd toss it out there.

Fall River comes to mind.

Comment

You will be fairly close to the McCloud but it doesn't fit your criteria......still, it's the McCloud.

I'd look at the upper Sac around Dunsmuir.

Comment

Williamson just north of Chiloquin, right by the highway (Collier Memorial state park, so some access).

Comment

In N. Cal, Off 5 in Dunsmuir is the Upper Sac. Literally right off the freeway. But, listen to pigs and check out the McCloud or the Pit. Those rivers are for real, but its a bit of a hike from 5.

Comment

Little Deschutes, Crescent Creek along HWY 97

Comment

there's a certain amount of safety issues along the Highway 97 corridor south of Bend. That said... "pull off the road" fishing? All the above are the best bets.

Comment

I've done well on the Deschutes about a mile south of the Warm Springs Bridge. The river is about 100 feet from the road. If you're going to wade wet make sure you know what poison oak looks like.

Truthfully, there is much more fishing opportunity below the I-5 bridges than there will be along Hwy 97. Also, once you get south of Eugene the drive on I-5 gets pretty scenic and the people get progressively weirder with each passing mile.

Comment

I have always wanted to poke around the Keno are of the Klamath - have read darn good things.

Comment

Originally posted by later, Peter View Post
                    there's a certain amount of safety issues along the Highway 97 corridor south of Bend.

Hmmm.. roadside bandits? Sasquatch? roaming bands of real estate salespeople?

hopefully not the latter......

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDave View Post
                      Truthfully, there is much more fishing opportunity below the I-5 bridges than there will be along Hwy 97. Also, once you get south of Eugene the drive on I-5 gets pretty scenic and the people get progressively weirder with each passing mile.
                      my primary reluctance to use I-5 is that it's an interstate, hence I cannot pull over at random points along the drive to take photos -- and photography will always outweigh fishing as a consideration in my trip planning. Even when I go back to the midwest to visit my kids, I try to avoid the interstate system as much as I can, so that I can maximize photo ops.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Butner View Post

Hmmm.. roadside bandits? Sasquatch? roaming bands of real estate salespeople?

hopefully not the latter......
                        There have been some bad accidents on 97. But it does go thru some interesting parts of the state. I'm sure you'll get some great photos.

Comment

Not sure what the talk about 97 is. Yeah it goes through some interesting parts, but I've fished in and around Little D and Crescent creek, etc with no issues ever. And down south you have the Williamson and Wood, Sprague, and Klamath below dam that you go by

Comment

Working...
                          X