Fly Fishing at Prineville Reservoir?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing at Prineville Reservoir?

I have to admit, I have been seeing some really nice sized and healthy trout being pulled out of Prineville Reservoir earlier this Spring from our conventional gear brethren. I have done some research and I haven't seen much at all about Fly Fishing Prineville - but it seems like a lot of other Central and Eastern Oregon High Desert Reservoirs that is popular with the Fly Fishing crowd. Most of my research shows that it is a popular Bass & Crappie Reservoir as well - but they stock thousands of trout in there. It is a huge Reservoir - popular with the boaters, jet skiers, in the summer, but would love to fish it in early Spring or Fall.

Has anyone ever given it a try? Is there an area on the Reservoir that is more conducive for us Fly Fisherman?

Thanks,
    Peach

My sone and I have fished it a few times. Once up high by the willows and twice in the creek arm on the south side near the dam. Good luck keeping the 7" crappies and SMB from eating your flies in those locations .

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      My sone and I have fished it a few times. Once up high by the willows and twice in the creek arm on the south side near the dam. Good luck keeping the 7" crappies and SMB from eating your flies in those locations .
      Thanks for the report. I was suspecting that would be an issue - thus thinking that it would be wiser to hit in the early Springtime or Late Fall to hopefully avoid those. Did you catch any trout on your outings?

Comment

no trout for us

Comment

Working...
        X