East lake in fall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East lake in fall

So I have some time off in the beginning of October, and I like chasin browns in fall, so Im thinkin about headin to East then....weather dependent obviously.

Any of you fish there in Oct? If I drag my trailer, can I just grab a spot in one of the closed campgrounds?

tactics? I've found a bit of info on how to approach it in fall.....feel free to PM me if you want.....I'm all about not broadcasting info across the Internet if said info is deemed sensetive.
    Last edited by pigs; 07-10-2018, 11:07 AM.

Don't forget about Miller.

Comment

• pigs
      pigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, I hear ya, but Miller seems like a tough nut to crack, while East seems to be more consistent.

• Crawbugger
      Crawbugger commented
      Editing a comment
      There both sweet. East is a little closer to you, but if you ever hit Miller when the magic is happening it has a way of burning into your memory bank.

• pigs
      pigs commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't doubt that......fall, and big brownie lakes go hand in hand.....one thing East seems to have over Miller, as far as I've heard anway, is the potential for walking the shoreline and spot and stalk fishing...far and away, my favorite tactic.

I fish East just about every October. The dinks have grown up and the fish are large and aggressive, but scattered. You will probably see the shoreline ringed with spawned out dying/dead Kokanee. Nighttime temperatures can get in the mid 20's.
    East Lake Campground is closing this year in 8/18 for tree removal with Cinder Hill closing on 9/3 for tree removal.
    I read earlier this year that the campgrounds will no longer "close" for the season and they will charge for camping, although it may be at a reduced rate due to no water or campground services. I will look to see if I can find the source for that information..
    Last edited by TheCamel; 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM.
    TC
    I like Phamily, Phriends, Phly-Phishing, and Phood......wouldn't you know it, I live in Philomath, Oregon!

Comment

Related question: how's East in August? Thinking about heading up there in August with family and some friend.
      Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• pigs
        pigs commented
        Editing a comment
        My understanding is August is same routine....chronos, calli's (smaller, like 14/16 I think), terrestrials.

• PhilR
        PhilR commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. That works!

I couldn't find anything about the campground use in October so I put in a call to Scott McBride, Newberry Monument Manager at Deschutes National Forest with two questions.
      1) Are they going to open the campgrounds back up after tree removal in August(East) and September(Cinder Hill)?
      2) Will they be charging for campground use if those facilities are reopened?
      Scott is "on leave" until July 16th, so I don't expect to hear back until sometime later this month.
      Last edited by TheCamel; 07-12-2018, 11:28 AM.
      TC
      I like Phamily, Phriends, Phly-Phishing, and Phood......wouldn't you know it, I live in Philomath, Oregon!

Comment

• pigs
        pigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the effort Camel

I heard back from Scott McBride late this afternoon.
      East Lake Campground will close on August 18th for tree removal. When the tree removal crew finishes up with the East Lake Campground it will be reopened and the crew will then move to Cinder Hill.
      Cinder Hill Campground will close on September 3rd. Since Cinder Hill Campground is much larger than East Lake Campground it may not reopen in 2018. It depends on the weather and how much gets done.
      There will not be a fee to camp in the campground after it "officially closes" for the season, but there will be no water or campground services such as garbage or toilet facilities. Now with that being said, in past years they have always left one pit toilet open for use.
      TC

Comment

I plan to be at East Lake this Saturday morning. The McKenzie Flyfishers are having an outing...I'll just be there for the day. If you're up there, look for me in my old Grumman.

I'll be tossing hoppers and ants to the beach, Stevie

The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Working...
        X