Fishing bike setups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing bike setups

I know this has been discussed but I'm too lazy to look for it.

So I want to FINALLY set up my bike to get around while fishin......looking for ideas.....mainly curious about how you carry rods between spots.

I doubt I'll use a trailer unless I was going to camp....a day pack should be sufficient I would think.

I will need to do thorn proof tires too.....Ive been researching some and looking for ideas.

Key question: where are you headed?

I used to do this a lot on the lower ten miles of the Deschutes. Here's what I did:
    --Strapped spey rod case to frame of bike so it stuck out the back over the rear rack. Don't carry the rod made up.
    --Carried two water bottles and a pump for getting more water from the river.
    --Packed two spare inner tubes, a patch kit, tire pump, and tire changing tools.
    --A few times I carried stuff in a backpack, but that put a lot of strain on the arms and hands. Also, your center of gravity is higher. I switched to panniers on the rear rack.
    --No toe clips. You want your feet to be free in case of a crash (or snake).
    --Don't bike in waders. Don't fish in bike shorts.
    --If you plan to keep any fish, think ahead about how you're going to carry them back.
    --Watch for snakes on the road.

Have fun!

aka Scott Richmond

Comment

If you go with the method of stringing a large fish and hanging it off the handlebars then make sure you catch two of relatively the same size and weight other wise the one comes around constantly slaps you in the leg. I know this from riding a large catfish home on my Huffy Windsprint when I was in 8th grade. Hah.

Comment

• Fuzzy
        Fuzzy commented
        Editing a comment
        Right. So always catch TWO hatchery steelhead when biking. I gotta write that down!

So two large fish to balance it out.......no prob! Haha

Comment

So my destination for this fall is Trout Creek and riding RR grade upstream......I'll be targeting trout so I'll be moving around a lot most likely.....getting in and out of waders will be a pain, but prolly the smart way to go....when on foot I carry 3 rods made up...dry, nymph, streamer....I spose I could cut it down to 2 and use nymph rod for sink tip and streamer.....I just hate changing over all the time....for me, the hassle of having 3 rods is less than the convenience and flexibility......my typical approach to any "spot" on the D is look for dry opps.first...obvious risers/ shady banks/foam lines/etc.....then nymph the fishy seams....then dredge with sculpins......I need be able to have them rigged, broke down in half, and then protected in a tube off the back.....maybe I'll build something from pvc.....I do like the panniers idea....more efficient than a backpack or trailer.

Fuzzy good call on water filter......I have one for backpacking and wasn't thinkin about it for this.

I think at a minimum I will put a liner between my tubes and tires.....my understanding is the goat heads are bad on the grade....I always have extra tubes, patch kit, tools etc...

the big picture question I have to ask myself is if biking is really the way to go, as I like to carry rods ready to cover the column, and I like to stick and move.....I can cover ground faster on bike, but the added hassle of setup/takedown may nullify the advantage......more thoughts?

I have hiked the grade a couple 2 or 3 miles upstream.....it'd be pretty uneventful as far mountain bikin is concerned so maybe I can get away with less "strapped down" mentality?
        Last edited by pigs; 09-05-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

pigs...build ya an over-head bike rack, mounted to each axle; add one of them multi-rod holders at each end; carry your various rods already strung up.
          only caveat...make sure there's no any branches hanging overhead while ya ride.

Comment

re: tires, use slime.

Comment

Ask SoxFan how all this eventually ends up...

S.C.I.

Comment

• soxfan
                soxfan commented
                Editing a comment
                It all ends in punctured tires, broken rods and tears!

I'm sure most have better experiences, but I feel like I can cover more ground on foot without going back for the bike. Watching two rods break from errant rocks certainly doesn't improve my perspective.

Green slime.

Comment

Another vote for the Slime. I put it in my kiddo's bike and my fat tire bike before we did a bike-pack trip up the D last year and we never had to fix a flat even though goat heads were sticking out of our tires. For weeks after I could see wet spots on our tires but they never went flat. As fun as it is to go barreling off trail, don't do it because you will pick up hundreds of goat heads instead of dozens.

Comment

I regularly ride upstream from Trout Creek and downstream from Mecca. Upstream from Trout Creek is much easier, as it's just a rough gravel road, with no terrain or brush issues.

Typically I will ride however many miles out (exact number is classified...), and then get rigged up and put waders on, and start hitting the water. Will walk from point to point to fish in the vicinity of wherever I leave my bike, and then when it's time to try a new section, I'll ride the short distance there, without breaking anything down or changing out of waders. This is pretty easy to do on the Trout Creek end of things, as it's just open roadway. Harder to do closer to Mecca, due to terrain/brush/people/etc.. I'm comfortable enough on a mountain bike to be able to easily and confidently ride with rods in hand.

Usually I bring most stuff in a backpack, and don't load down the bike itself. Mountaineering is a major hobby for me, so I have a wide selection of backpacks from which to choose. Rod tubes fit well in side pockets and under compression straps.

I went for several years without ever encountering a goats head thorn, and then I couldn't make a trip without slow leaking flats from them. So I equipped my "fishing bike" with tire liners and Slime tubes. No "special" tires. Makes the wheels very heavy and unpleasant for "normal" riding, but since going to that setup, I've never heard a problem along the river.

Haven't yet done this as an overnight trip, but given the options I have for gear, I could easily accommodate that in a pack. Pulling a trailer sounds like absolute misery in that stretch.

It's really nice to be on a bike when I see people spending large chunks of their day just walking along the roadway out to their fishing spots. So inefficient. And if a nasty thunderstorm pops up I can get back to the car in a big hurry.

Comment

• pigs
                    pigs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the intel......I think your approach is how I'm leaning.....I have a great, lightweight Osprey pack that I think I will try out on a scout ride.

The more I think about it, I don't want to overcomplicate it, and if I'm in a situation where it's a really rough ride, I will prolly re-evaluate......but like you said, trout creek upstream is pretty tame.

Oreamnos, do you take two rods when doing this?
                    Last edited by pigs; 09-06-2018, 08:06 AM.

Slime seems to be popular.....I think I will try it out.....dealing with flats cuts into fishin time.

so I see slime makes a few different products......what should I get?
                  Last edited by pigs; 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pigs View Post
                    Slime seems to be popular.....I think I will try it out.....dealing with flats cuts into fishin time.

so I see slime makes a few different products......what should I get?
                    I've only used the slime tubes, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Slime-Self-He.../dp/B000ENOPOA

Also, I typically carry 2 rods. Haven't done 3 yet.

Comment

So I went down to the local bike shop lookin for slime, and got to talkin to a dude workin there.......he says all his co-workers and buddies use orange seal endurance.....says it works better, less issues.....so I bought some, and will try it out and report findings.
                      Last edited by pigs; 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Since we're on the subject. Anyone ever bike the 4 miles or so from the campground at Cottonwood Canyon State Park on river left. Is the path similar condition to the D trail or rougher?

Last year I did a bike camp trip with my 7 year old on the D and we went about 7 miles in using an old kid trailer to carry our gear. She did that round trip on her bike on 16" wheels. This year I was thinking we could do a combo on the JD from the State Park where we bike in to the end of the trail and then walk/pack another couple miles. Pretty sure that trail stays wide enough for the kid trailer and I'd just go slow if it was rough. Any beta would be great.
                        Last edited by Mr. Chin; 09-12-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• soxfan
                          soxfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure about river left, but if your willing to backtrack to the bridge the right side has a nice trail for about 3 miles. That river is shallow enough in the riffles that even your kids can cross it.
                      Working...
                      X