Wickiup is no more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wickiup is no more

Not really know as a Fly fishing Reservoir - more for its Kokonee fishing - but those in the know that there can be some fantastic trout fishing in the channels and near the tributaries. I have caught some very nice Browns and Rainbows around Sheep's Bridge before. Looks like it is be no more. Checked the levels out this morning - it is down to 2% - it will be completely dry in 10 days. Wonder if we will it ever return.

Sad...

https://www.ktvz.com/news/wickiup-re...ears/796888931

https://www.facebook.com/centraloregonfishingreport/videos/1826896240740505/

Peach

I went and checked it out a couple weeks ago when it was at 5 or 6%...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dam1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	8251

Name:	Dam2.jpg
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	8250

Name:	Outflow.jpg
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	8249

Comment

Somebody needs to start asking the Hard questions.

Comment

Like..."what was there before the dam was built?"
        Seems to me, the dam being built may or may not have been a blessing to the river down stream.
        But, even then, it's all "artificial" now...
        Carry on.

Comment

Looks like a good time to "treasure" hunt for both non-fish and fish alike.

Comment

Every time I see a post like this, "Cadillac Desert" by Marc Reisner comes to mind. Food, clothing, & shelter have always been the top of the list of needs (not wants). The human race has been far too successful for its own good and often abusing mother nature. Now in Central Oregon a new cash crop is being grown, its not food. Each mature plant takes 22.7 liters of water each day.

According to the Oregon Water Resources Dept. the Deschutes Water Basin has been loosing near one foot of water table per year for the last 2 or more decades. The madness continues.

WV Hoopie,
            Last edited by WV Hoopie; 09-22-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

This is a recent aerial view of the lake, from the "Central Oregon Fishing Report" Facebook page.

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915142186.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	8320

If water can be kept in the lake for several years running, it will bounce back. This will certainly damage the bass and bullhead populations. The browns and rainbows are hardy, and fish from the river above the reservoir can re-seed the population. Some kokes will survive, and it's possible some from Crane will escape to re-seed that population as well. Of course there are bass, bluegill, and panfish in Crane that will likely wash down and re-establish those populations, as well.

That said, here's some recent pics (over the last 10 years) in memoriam of how good this lake has been to me this time of year, when there has been water in the lake.

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915011396.jpg
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	8326

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915026567.jpg
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	8323

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915001358.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	8324
              Last edited by stillwaterdan; 09-25-2018, 03:53 PM.
              https://flyfishingwithdrdan.wordpress.com/

Comment

And a few more (hopefully it's not goodbye, just "see you later")

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915019498.jpg
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	8328

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915042492.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	8329

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915060300.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	8330

Name:	FB_IMG_1537915070536.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	8331

Comment

The day I took those pics from the dam I also stopped by Sheep's Bridge. I couldn't believe how many kokes were in there. The last time I fished it there were a lot of the bigger fish actively spawning in the deeper areas. This time there were a bunch of much smaller and darker fish in the flats below the springs. Are they always there and I just never visit in September or are they up there because they don't have a lake to live in?

Comment

Patrick - Yes and Yes is your answer. The kokes always make their migration up the tributaries this time of year and it is typical you can see them when you visit Sheep's Bridge in September, but with less "lake" for them there are more of them this year.

Dan - I like your ideal of a "Wickiup Tribute" to all of the past fish that were caught there. I didn't take many pictures but here is one that I took at Sheep's Bridge 10 years ago - but not near as impressive as your catches .

Comment

That is a solid fish! ^^^ I still expect that there will be some nice fish available during the spring, but likely fewer and farther between.

Comment

ODFW has responded to the Wickiup situation. Their hands are truly tied. Too many people, too little snow. I have to think there has to be some economic impact with all of those folks fishing for the Kokes and Brown Trout and just the campers too, but with the Bend area growing so rapidly maybe the dollars the Wicki brings in these days doesn't have much of an impact as it did in the past.

https://myodfw.com/articles/changes-...voir-fisheries

Also, someone organized a big clean up this weekend at Wickiup and they hauled out 2400 pounds of trash! Alot of items lost or dumped into the Reservoir over the past 50 years.

Peach

Comment

Good for the cleanup crew. Thanks for the update.

Water issues in the arid western USA should be a dominant factor in all policies of the region. Greatly increased golf courses, resorts, yards, other demands... what do people think will happen?

Hope for the best...
                          You don't need no gypsy to tell you why,
                          You can't let one precious day slip by.

Comment

Working...
                          X