D report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D report

So I camped at Trout Creek and fished hard for three and half days....I fished from my bike, and was able to cover way more ground/water.....I put orange seal in my tubes and had zero issues with many miles logged.....I was able to get by with my fishpond summit sling....I really love this pack....I'm able to put all my gear in it, attach stuff to the outside and strap a jacket to it.....I especially like the net sleeve and the water bottle sleeve...I carried snacks in my wader pockets...I duct taped a lil bike pump to my bike frame and I have a lil under-seat pack for my bike that contains bike essentials.....I carried my rods full length, rigged, wore waders.....zero issues, even when the trail gets a bit more rough couple miles in....

It was overcast/rain/drizzle pretty much the whole time....tons of bugs about, including bwo and pmd hatches.....and I think some ped's and maybe some mahogany's or some other size 14ish mayfly....lots of different Caddis and a bunch of crane flies....I only got one smaller fish to take an October Caddis dry this trip, but I did not throw it much either....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20181007_122422_zpsiinud7h3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	8493

The fishing reminded of why I fell in love with the lower Deschutes so many years ago.....Euro nymphing produced toads and numbers...the Frenchie outproduced everything else by a wide margin....backeddies from mid day on were nuts with so many bugs around...sculpins were crushed in the steep and deep bouldery stuff....shout out to Domenick Swentosky....before going I tied up a bunch of his bunny bullet pattern and read his article about how he uses his mono rig to fish streamers "old school" style...I highly recommend reading ALL his stuff at troutbitten.com....hes got things pretty dialed....oh yeah, the lil foam discs to keep your rigs on are money....switch from euro nymph leader to streamer in no time.

I found Chins observation to be true with the black spot disease.....younger fish seems to have it less....overall, the fish seemed very healthy.....that said, this river needs to be cherished and cared for....DRA is fighting the big bullies, and I appreciate that so much....

Name:	IMG_20181005_122120_zpsfxvwlaap_edit_1539053097792_zpskkir3crw.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	8490

Name:	MVIMG_20181007_105041_1_zpspl3hue5z.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	8491

Name:	MVIMG_20181006_175055_zpsrfwrvg1x.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	8492

Last edited by pigs; 10-09-2018, 06:16 AM.

Awesome.
    You don't need no gypsy to tell you why,
    You can't let one precious day slip by.

Comment

Great to see reports like this from the lower river again!

Comment

• pigs
        pigs commented
        Editing a comment
        The Deschutes is an amazing, resilient river for sure.

Always feels good to catch fish. Feels even better using many methods within a day to catch fish. Makes you feel like you might know what you're doing. Hah! Good stuff man.

Comment

• pigs
        pigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes indeed, Chin! Its sweet when it all comes together.....I wouldn't normally give as detailed of a report, but I think the D needs positive attention these days.....I think we, as stewards of the river, need to show how awesome of a place it truly is.....the trout fishery is super special and deserves to be treated as such.
        Last edited by pigs; 10-09-2018, 08:14 AM.

Thanks for the bike pointers guys.....it was a lot of fun, and productive riding the grade....also a nice leg workout!

Comment

Those are serious toads! Did you notice a difference in the way the fish fought if they had black spot or no black spot? I had a good hour in an eddy last time out and was alternating between fish that had it and didn't have it. When it was back to back fish like that it was really noticeable. Ballistic runs and jumps--no black spot. Wallowing, head shaking, short weak runs--had black spot.

Comment

• pigs
          pigs commented
          Editing a comment
          I tend to agree.....the biggest fish I caught was darker and lots of black spot....not a hot fish....heavy, but not hot

The hottest fish was a classic D fight....deep, bouldery bank, with pretty big current just out from the juicy zone....the fish got me into the current and I woulda seen my backing and prolly lost it, had I not been able to follow...and this is on my 11 ft 4 wt CZN, which typically gives me great leverage....this fish was prolly 17" or 18" and more silver, torpedo like and very little black spot.....

Big D redsides in big current give **** not about what kind of leverage you may think you have!.....I've caught nice trout in quite few different places, but I still measure them all against the D redsides.....once a big one gives you a ride, you are hooked (pun intended) for life!

A little side note......I used 5x fluoro for my euro nymphing and was very happy....I've been using 6x on the middle Willy but I wanted a lil extra on the D.....also, the 6x gets a lil memory and gets all tangled so easy.

Comment

That is a really nice fish. I got a few last time I was out that were smaller but deep bodied. Fought hard, and really tried to use the current to their advantage.
          Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• pigs
            pigs commented
            Editing a comment
            It's what I love about those fish....a hot 13 incher will give you a ride!

Yea baby!

Thanks for the report.
          The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Outstanding.

Comment

good stuff!!

I need to try to pry myself away from other pursuits and get back over there.

Comment

• pigs
                pigs commented
                Editing a comment
                I know you are a streamer guy.....you may notice that brownish thing on the side of the first trouts face above........I actually got several on a sculpin, and as you can imagine, the sculpin eaters were among the biggest fish landed.

• Clarkman
                Clarkman commented
                Editing a comment
                oh, I saw it! ha! I've had some pretty epic streamer days over there....also had days where I didn't touch anything at all on streamers there too...

How was it tossing streamers "troutbitten" style? I've utilized that method for my "euro"/tightline/whatever you want to call it/ nymphing and it works very very well.

• pigs
                pigs commented
                Editing a comment
                It worked pretty dang well.....I just imagined the trout were cats and I had a ball on a string....I think that style is perfect for sculpin behavior

So there were a lot of these guys on the rocks and buzzin around.....I don't know my craneflies, but I remember DRA talking about a certain species that had all but disappeared from the lower river.....this one is pretty small like a quarter inch.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pigs; 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• SteelCityIrish
                SteelCityIrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Back in PA we had a cranefly pattern that was basically tied "backwards" on the shank with the head above the hook bend.

S.C.I.

• PhilR
                PhilR commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s really good to see. Hope that means that the river is bouncing back.

Thanks for the report! Nice looking fish there.

Comment

Working...
              X