Upper Mac Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Mac Report

Spent a wonderful morning on the Upper Mac yesterday. Some beautiful fish. Caught on Caddis dries. Lotta fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_DSC01142_1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	8836

Question, how high do the salmon go up the Mac, found half dozen monster carcasses, completely rotten so I couldn't identify, but very large. Only thing I could think of was spawned out salmon of some sort. Just did not think they got that high, above the dams.

cheers

beautifully colored fish!

Comment

They may seed those carcasses.

Comment

Pretty fish. Nice to see one without blackspot disease . . .

I suppose the carcasses were too decomposed to tell if they had an adipose fin. If they were fin clipped, then I would guess they'd been seeded. If not, then they were probably wild, naturally spawning salmon. Isn't there a fish ladder at the dam? I wouldn't be surprised at a few salmon spawning up there.
        aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Glad you had a good day, and thanks for the report. Those fish are lovely.

I believe there is a trap and haul system at the base of Cougar dam so there should be spawning up there. The challenge isn't getting the adults upstream, it's getting the juveniles down.

The South Fork McKenzie confluence area had a major restoration project going this summer btw. Here's a little story about it... https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...river-run-free
          The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

This was up by Olallie Creek - feesh were far too decomposed (no meat left, just bones with a bit of head). Hopin' they were seeded, pups got into them, though not really sure there was any meat on them that could transmit salmon poisoning.

Cheers
            Last edited by Canuck from KS; 11-05-2018, 10:29 AM. Reason: Hopin they were seeded

Comment

• Crawbugger
              Crawbugger commented
              Editing a comment
              Just watch the pups. First sign of them not eating or drinking straight to the vet. It's very sudden.

• Canuck from KS
              Canuck from KS commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, we been through it with Cody (some speculate he would then have immunity) - more worried about the little one, fine so far.

The upper McKenzie is one of my favorite places in the world. Very special.

The Chinook salmon make it upstream to just below Trail Bridge Dam. The stretch just below the dam, including around Ollalie Creek, is an important spawning area. The peak spawning was in September, but some carcasses are still around. Almost all of the salmon that make it up that far are wild, unclipped fish. However, ODFW plants some hatchery fish above the dam, in the hopes that their progeny will re-establish a wild run up there, and for the fry and smolts to serve as a food source for bull trout.

Comment

• Canuck from KS
              Canuck from KS commented
              Editing a comment
              Great info Arlen - we miss your input!!

Thanks for the info, Arlen!
            aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Working...
            X