Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith Restored--Deschutes, 11/5

Sometimes when you lose you win.

Monday, I parked at the Locked Gate and walked upstream carrying a pack with lunch, spare clothes, water, fishing gear, and rain jacket. The intent was to hike upstream, then nymph-fish my way back to the FuzzyMobile. I was after trout because I'd given up on steelhead (stupid waste-of-time non-existent fantasy of a fish!).

After a 1.5 miles hike, I started fishing. Third cast, I got hung up and broke off the tippet ring on my Euro nymph leader. Guess what was the one thing I didn't have in my pack? Yup, a 2mm tippet ring; nearest replacement was miles away at a Maupin fly shop. I didn't want to mess up the sighter by tying tippet directly to it. So I hoofed the 1.5 mile back to the truck. At least I got some exercise!

I had a spey rod in the truck, so I figured 'what the heck' and started casting for steel. The wind was fierce when I started, but gradually laid down to calm. The clouds went away, and there were no people walking the roads, no cars, no more drift boats floating by. It was pretty darn peaceful and pleasant. Then I got a pull, and before I could wonder whether it was a steelhead or an aggressive trout, the fish jumped and removed all doubt. It jumped a dozen times before I landed it. Six pound hatchery hen. Going to have it for dinner tonight.

The water temp is still over 50, so I stuck with a floating line. Looking at the weather forecast, I would expect the water temp to drop this week and I will switch to a sink tip--now that I believe in steelhead again.
    aka Scott Richmond

Nicely done, Uncle Fuzzy! Thanks for the great report! I haven't had a chance to fish for Steelhead on the D yet this year but I am planning on soon. I am suffering quite a bit from a Chromium deficiency. ;-)

-Chris

Comment

Sweeeet! My saying is that there are more fish per fisherman in these low count years. Last Thurs I had the whole canyon to myself above the gate and hooked up with a big fish on the spey. Felt so good to have the long rod bucking and bent to the cork. See any fish rising in the eddies? It was perfect BWO conditions when I was out but saw zero rises and very little bug activity in eddies known to be packed with fish.

Comment

Nice report!

Comment

Build an extra euro leader with a tippet ring attached, stick it in a ziplock, and put it in ur gear!

Comment

• pigs
            pigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Easier than carrying extra rings and trying to tie em on in the field.....I'd end up dropping them I'm sure.

• Patrick
            Patrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Tie on the tippet ring before you take it off the swivel.

• pigs
            pigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point Patrick.....those lil buggers are hard to see!

Originally posted by Mr. Chin View Post
          See any fish rising in the eddies?
          I saw no rises until near dark, when a few trout rose in slower runs. Couldn't see what they were taking. I didn't see any rises in backeddies, and I looked pretty closely.

aka Scott Richmond

Comment

• Mr. Chin
            Mr. Chin commented
            Editing a comment
            Either way it's good to slow it down and stare at an eddy. Having roughly 23 years of fly fishing behind me, I probably have thousands of hours zoning out at bubble lines.

Hot spotter!

Hee hee!

Congrats and thanks for the report.
          The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

nice report, but you gave up and walked 1.5 miles because of a tippet ring!?

at least you nabbed a steelhead in the whole 'ordeal'

How was the overall visible bug activity?
            Last edited by Clarkman; 11-07-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Fuzzy
              Fuzzy commented
              Editing a comment
              Still some caddies, but didn’t see a bwo hatch. Couldn’t see what was happening at dusk.

Originally posted by Clarkman View Post
            nice report, but you gave up and walked 1.5 miles because of a tippet ring!?
            Clarkman, the steelhead gods only reward those who have suffered for their sport.

aka Scott Richmond

Comment

• Clarkman
              Clarkman commented
              Editing a comment
              truer words have never been spoken...

• PhilR
              PhilR commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like I haven't suffered enough. Guess I'll go fall in the river a few more times.

• DonT
              DonT commented
              Editing a comment
              If falling in counted, I'd be up there with Lani Waller.....
          Working...
          X