Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Say You!

Gents....

If you were to have someone come visit you for fishing in the Spring... and you'd be shooting for a Oly Penn trip as well as a D trip, which month would you choose?

Lets say... Mar - May, fisher is well experienced in swing and cast.

S.C.I.

Late March for OP steel

Any month for D trout. Pick your hatch
    aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Who's coming out? Is it your boy Hawk?
      Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

Originally posted by PhilR View Post
        Who's coming out? Is it your boy Hawk?
        Yessir! He says hes game for this spring... want to get him a taste of that ONP, and a bit of big bugs if I can. They had a stellar fall salmon season on the Niagra & Salmon rivers upstate.

Comment

Gotta meet him, for sure
          Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

September. Best weather. The D has trout and steel. The OP will have summers and probably some Chinook.

Comment

2nd Scotts recommendation for late March. Although with licenses for 2 states + gas why don't you do something cheaper like go to Hawaii? Just my 2,000 cents

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDave View Post
                2nd Scotts recommendation for late March. Although with licenses for 2 states + gas why don't you do something cheaper like go to Hawaii? Just my 2,000 cents
                I fish the National Park water...

Comment

Can't speak to the Oly Pen, but for the D, I like the spring BWO hatch......try to time it when the river is coming out of it's winter doldrums, and before it gets high and muddy from runoff.....you may also get some March brown action, and the river will be relatively quiet......early April if flows hold, imo
                  Last edited by pigs; 11-27-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelCityIrish View Post

I fish the National Park water...
                    That is a beautiful place to fish in late winter. My problem with the OP is that it is a long long way from Portland, and by the time you get there the rivers may be blown out. The way things have been going with our anadromous runs, I figure I'm not going to catch any steelhead wherever I go, so I might as well stay close to home and fish the Clackamas or Sandy.

I could build a case to not go to the OP, then take the money you saved and hire a good guide, such as Rob Crandall, for a day or half day on the Clackamas in early April. It all depends on what you're after.

aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                      That is a beautiful place to fish in late winter. My problem with the OP is that it is a long long way from Portland, and by the time you get there the rivers may be blown out. The way things have been going with our anadromous runs, I figure I'm not going to catch any steelhead wherever I go, so I might as well stay close to home and fish the Clackamas or Sandy.

I could build a case to not go to the OP, then take the money you saved and hire a good guide, such as Rob Crandall, for a day or half day on the Clackamas in early April. It all depends on what you're after.
                      I hear you Scott... it is quite the hump to get up there, but man, secluded it is. I might think about the guide thing closer to home though... its more about the experience for my friend, first time out West and all.

S.C.I.

Comment

Another thought—the Sandy River canyon is close to Portland but it is a very wild and remote feeling place, more so than the Clackamas. Every time I go through there I am amazed at how remote it feels, and yet it so close to the metro area. There are several good guides that float that stretch, but they can book up quickly.
                        aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                          Another thought—the Sandy River canyon is close to Portland but it is a very wild and remote feeling place, more so than the Clackamas. Every time I go through there I am amazed at how remote it feels, and yet it so close to the metro area. There are several good guides that float that stretch, but they can book up quickly.
                          Yeah.... I guess I've floated it so many times, it doesn't feel that way to me anymore. But the McIver to Barton float has more white water, which you need cause there's no fish in the Clack... right SoxFan & PhilR?

I definitely will take him down to the D for a trip as well, that never gets old for me... such a landscape change. But there's a place in the ONP that is so special, I love it up there... 22 miles in.

S.C.I.

Comment

• PhilR
                            PhilR commented
                            Editing a comment
                            There's no fish.
                            Fixed it for you.

Comment

• Crawbugger
                            Crawbugger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hater gonna hate. Have Fun.

Well I've decided for May instead... hoping for some big bug action at least.

Comment

• dragginfly
                            dragginfly commented
                            Editing a comment
                            In the end, it is not so much what you do, but who you are with. Have a great visit, and some fantastic fishing......
                        Working...
                        X