The Kindness of Strangers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kindness of Strangers

I fished the Deschutes yesterday; see my other post. I put on my waders at Harpham Flat, fished there, then upstream, then downstream a few places. I parked at my last stop, and just as I started for the water a car pulled in behind my pickup. A guy got out and said "Did you lose your wallet at Harpham Flat?" I identified myself and he handed me my wallet. I didn't even know it was missing.

Apparently it dropped from my jeans pocket as I wadered up at Harpham, I'm usually pretty careful about these things, but it was my first trout trip of the year and I was not into the groove. Anyway, this fellow stopped at Harpham, found my wallet, googled me, discovered Westfly, then noticed my rig at the last stop--four hours later. My truck's license plate is "WST FLY" so that's how he knew it was me. He also left a message on my answering machine.

Wow. That was a lot of effort on behalf of a careless oaf like me. But I sure am grateful! BTW, his name is George Miller and he deserves a shout out.
    aka Scott Richmond

I've also been on the receiving end of unwarranted kindness from people I either didn't know at all, or barely knew. It's humbling and I hope that over time, I can repay it, if not directly, at least to the Universe in general, and hope that it all gets sorted out in the end.

Comment

Times are changing. Kindness is coming back around. I like it. Be the example you want to see. Glad you got your wallet back Fuzzy.

Comment

Good for him and you. I would have driven to a good cell signal, ordered up a trout spey, AND THEN returned the wallet. Hah! I found a $1000 cash on the Williamette once and was able to get the money back to the deceased owner's family

How was the fishing and access? I'm heading out soon. Need a break from steelhead skunking!

Comment

• Fuzzy
          Fuzzy commented
          Editing a comment
          Fishing was good. Access was good from Maupin to the locked gate (and beyond), and the access road north of Maupin. Didn't go as far as the road to Macks, so I don't know about it.

It was nice to get a wiggle on the rod. Phoo on steelhead!

Glad you got your wallet back. I found a wallet a few years ago and it had a receipt from The Imperial in Maupin. I was on my way back to the car when a guy with a crazed look came down the trail frantically searching for something. He asked me if I had by chance found a wallet. I said yes and I was in the process of going to the Imperial to return it to the front desk. Really made his day. And I got a good karma point but no tip or invite for a crown royal at the bar. Oh well. I fished below Maupin on Sunday and did manage to land a few on nymphs. There were some BWO's hatching but no surface action. Was a cold day but nice to be in the canyon. Winter came a little later this year. But the orange wing blackbirds were singing and the bluebirds were soooo blue against the snow. Spring is just around the corner.

Comment

Way to go George!
          The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Before the internet, when there was still good summer steelhead fishing on the upper Clack, I found a guys wallet up at Three Lynx and managed to look up his number in the phone book, call it and leave a message on his answering machine. He was very grateful that I called and came & got his wallet out of my mailbox (our work hours conflicted so we couldn't meet face to face).

Unfortunately I've never found a supermodel's wallet nor had the pleasure of returning it to a gushingly grateful beauty. While kindness rarely leads to any sort of instant gratification, it does create good Karma and than does slide the old "good luck meter" up a couple notches. And being a steelheader, I really need that and know it has paid off!

Comment

I have absolutely no real evidence to back it up, of course, but my guess is that the vast majority of lost wallets (the ones found, anyway) get returned one way or another, by basically decent people. Still, it's always nice to see this gut feeling confirmed. Good on Mr. Miller.

- JR

Comment

Was stopped at a stop light, in Milwaukee/Gladstone area on Hwy 99, and there sat something layin' on its side - tent style. I got out and picked it up, it was a wallet. Found a place to pullover to have a look-see inside. It had the usual(s)...ID, Credit Cards, and Money. I didn't recognize the name, but the address happen to be in my neck of the woods, in the Mid-Willamette valley. I looked in the phone book (I'm "old-school") and found some people with the same last name. After three calls, I hit pay dirt with an uncle; I gave him my name and number, to have his nephew contact me. We made contact and he got his wallet back.

He couldn't believe his luck to get his wallet back. It had fallen off the work truck, on his way home from a job site in Portland.

Comment

Working...
                X