No announcement yet.

2018 Winter steelhead reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna head out to the Clack tomorrow about mid morning for a couple hours if anyone wants to meet up.
    PM me.

Comment

• Troutsniffer
      Troutsniffer commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d be there if it weren’t for this work thing...

Spent yesterday from sun-up to sun-down exploring some steelhead water. Landed one, lost another. Water was primo. Really hoping to find similar conditions here in another month or so when there are more native fish around. So far this year: four trips, three hooked, two landed. Feeling okay about that with 2.5 months left in the season.

Comment

I got lucky on the N Umpqua yesterday swinging an intruder. Sorry for the bad photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N Umpqua 006.png
Views:	3
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	5918
      Cheers & keep at it, it will happen for you.

Comment

• Stevie B
        Stevie B commented
        Editing a comment
        Way to swing!

• jmwfish224
        jmwfish224 commented
        Editing a comment
        Question if I may: what's with the rubber band around the lower grip? Do you use it when you break your rod down and just store it there, or is there a purpose that will magically make me a better spey caster?

I was wondering how the NU would be fishing. Drove through on our way to the coast over the weekend. There was a lot of new wood, and unfortunately looked like a lot of new silt from slides after the fires, especially up around Horseshoe Bend. Water clarity did not look good. Did not see many cars in pullouts.

cheers

Comment

Nice one Vaughn. Gotta have that fly in the water to have a chance! I still have yet to fish the N. Ump. Is that considered a late summer or a winter?

Looking to head out Thursday evening to chase steel and check out the monster waves on Friday. 30-35 ft swell on the way. Open ocean will be a sight to see.
        Choices! We have a lot of choices in Oregon.
        https://www.ryanchinauthor.com/singl.../05/20/Choices

Comment

• Crawbugger
          Crawbugger commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty much Year round on the NU.

Mr. Chin, its a winter fish. NU winters come January through March, summers begin arriving in June and July.

Someday you really need to try the NU in the fly water for summer steelhead. It is awesome scenery & great camping but can be a tough river to get fish on...

Comment

Last week it was suckers. Yesterday it was this dude.
          Support the Deschutes River Alliance: Cooler, cleaner H2O for the lower Deschutes River

Comment

• Crawbugger
            Crawbugger commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a Fine Blueback Phil! Great work.

• Mr. Chin
            Mr. Chin commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect hit in the corner with the bead. Nice. Better than the skunk. If you would have customized that bead with some nail polish you would have hooked steel for sure.

• Clarkman
            Clarkman commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never been one to dislike by-catch...that's a nice one!

One full day and two half days on the coast last week. Got a brief bump and a lot of rain drops.
          aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Giving up on the Clack, switching to the Sandy. Made several short 1-2 hour evening trips to the Sandy, Oxbow, Dodge and private access last week including last night. Hatchery has relocated a few hundred fish back downstream once and will do the same again this week. Really like the way I am fishing but no luck at all and haven't seen any fish on the bank by anyone. But conversations reveal some good days by a few people. Frustrating last night that I had the entire Dodge Park run to myself at last light and was on my game swinging every 3 feet from bank to bank without a touch. Plan to head out again today. Not sure what the Sandy will look like but fish are catchable at every level as long as two feet visibility. River has been too low and clear lately. If I ever get a tug I will be shocked. Wouldn't be surprised to get skunked for the season. Sandy and Clack, big water few fish.

Comment

• PhilR
              PhilR commented
              Editing a comment
              Jeez, if you get skunked, I might as well drop my rods off at Goodwill and take up Parcheesi or something.

This Rain should work Magic.

Comment

Unbelievable!!! Long straight cast on the swing and the line felt "heavy". Slight hook set and I am shocked! There is actually a steelhead on my fly. Forgot what a fighter those fish are. no jumps but strong hard runs. had to be a buck and after quite a few minutes I brought it to hand. 35 inch hatchery buck with a hint of red. I will never figure out pictures but I am happy. Sandy River, black and blue metal detector, 5 feet intermediate 5 feet T 14 tip, from about five feet of water high in a tailout. Sandy has stayed very clear with this rise. So, it's possible Westfliers. Good luck to all.

Comment

• Crawbugger
                Crawbugger commented
                Editing a comment
                Told yah! Glad you got out and had FUN.

• PhilR
                PhilR commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweet!
                (I totally had faith)

• soxfan
                soxfan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha! This guy! Lest than 24 hours later he's into a fish.

Hooked up again today. Long strong battle but when the fish touched the bank got some slack and the barbless hook popped right out. Same set-up as yesterday but totally different water. Worked the tail-out hard but nothing. Went to the head of the run. Cast out into the fast water too swing into the slower seam and the rod was almost pulled from my hand. Short cast. Still had half the head in the rod. Definitely spoiled two days in a row. Sandy water still relatively low and clear. Looking forward to reports of hook-ups from fellow Westfliers.

Comment

Someone's got the mojo working! All it took was some complaining I'll be out next weekend on the coast, have more for you when I return.

Comment

Yeah. PTS and Bucky (when he was posting) have this Ho Humm (Insert Yawn)---I happened to be on the river taking a few casts and I hooked up with steel--kind of mojo. Afternoon freed up. Going to spin the fat tire bike around Thousand Acres for an hour then put in a little swing time on the lower Sandy. C'mon now! Come tight. Don't raise the tip. Don't do a thing. Let'er come to the reel! I'm due....
                  Choices! We have a lot of choices in Oregon.
                  https://www.ryanchinauthor.com/singl.../05/20/Choices

Comment

I've been fishing a little, mostly where it's convenient to get on the water rather than where I think the fish really are. Not catching anything but I think it will pick up about the time everyone gives up on the steelhead and starts trout fishing

Comment

Working...
                    X