X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pigs
    started a topic Traction for lug soles?

Traction for lug soles?

So I want to wear my duck hunting waders this winter so I don't freeze my arse off......nice insulated boots on em, but they are slick as hell! So what's the best solution? Home Depot for some 3/8" screws? Aluminum bars? They have no pilot holes, and I've never put studs in boots that weren't exactly made for em.

• Patrick
    replied
    Seems the aluminum thing is gaining momentum. Saw an insta post on rocktreads today. Anyone tried them? $60 seems steep to me. Rocktreads.com

Leave a comment:

• pigs
    commented on 's reply
    So I put the studs on the tread that sticks up.....so the studs "stick out" if you will....I believe I need to put them in the "valleys" between the tread......I'm betting this will solve the problem....hopefully

• Clarkman
    commented on 's reply
    I've never had that problem. But then, my boots have the pre-holes.

Honestly though, even in felt, I don't think I've ever lost that many of them.

I'm not entirely positive, but I think I might have the 1/2" ones too.

• pigs
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks.....sculpin eater bouncing it along on a mono rig setup......I've been getting good results, and bigger fish with this setup on the D, Mac, and MFW.

• Fuzzy
    replied
    Can't help you with the boots, but that's a nice fish!

Leave a comment:

• pigs
    replied
    So I installed the Kold Kutters and they worked great on the MFW today, which is like wading on mossy bowling balls.....a pretty big problem though, many of the studs were lost while hiking around......solutions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181209_135501_zpsly5uqj9q.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	9186

Leave a comment:

• piscator54
    replied
    I use the same setup as sox fan on my korkers. Countersink the bars and use T nuts to screw into. The removable soles make this an easy setup. Doesn't help you in your quest dave but it looks like some have been successful using screws directly into the sole.

'Cator

Leave a comment:

• KillerDave
    replied
    I got a pair of those "Yaktrax" slip on Ice Grippers and they work good. I like that you can take them off so when you're walking a couple miles along the road you don't wear them out.

The old aluminum bars & pop rivet system works great for wading traction but they're clunky to walk any distance in.

Leave a comment:

• pigs
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Soxfan......some sexy lookin soles right there! And thanks for all the input guys! I've always used just felt on rivers.....this has been very helpful

• Clarkman
    commented on 's reply
    yep, my experience mirrors yours (although that happens with any commercially available "fishing studs" as well). Like Pigs stated though, they're cheap, so I just replace as necessary with the pile of them that I have. Bottom line though, there are multiple ways of skinning this cat...

• soxfan
    replied
    I don't know about "dialed", but this was essentially my middle finger to the $$$ Patagonia setup. Been using them for about 5 years. I just wanted something I could put miles on, wear in my boat, and keep me from swimming in the D. Studs probably do a better job overall as they cover more area, but definitely require more upkeep and are not boat friendly. I think everyone has pretty much nailed the pros and cons of bars vs studs.

Bars usually last for a year or two of heavy travel before they wear through and pop off. I just cut another chunk off the bar stock, drill, countersink, and screw on. Couldn't find my old post, but here's a pick of my well traveled setup. You can see that I replaced the inside bars more recently. 1/2" #9 screws hold really well, only penetrate about 3/8 into a boot sole. Put as many or as few bars as you like. Rocket science it ain't.
    Last edited by soxfan; 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pigs
    commented on 's reply
    I have some Kold Kutters on the way....looking forward to trying em out...maybe Sunday

• pigs
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the input Don! That's a wealth of knowledge earned over time.......i guess the nice thing with Kold Kutters is you get a pile of em for $20 so u can change em out when they round off.

• DonT
    replied
    Hi folks,

On the FWIW side, I've tried about everything. My experience with the Kold Kutters and the like is that they are good when new but as soon as they start getting worn and the edges rounded they can be really variable depending on what you step on. I've used aluminum bars for several years and they are really good on the Clack and Sandy and on parts of the D. However, as soon as the edges start rounding off, they are actually almost dangerous on really smooth bedrock, especially if it has moss on it. Ask me how I know this.....My Simms are getting worn and I'm specifically going over to Korkers for my next pair so I can get variable soles and what I am going to be using is felt with carbide studs and also the fairly radical carbide spike soles, which is what I have seen a lot of the guides wearing. Also, I've tried everything Simms offers, all the different cleats and they all are pretty good when new but wear too quickly and you are back to no mans land. Aluminum bars are the best I have found for longer life but as mentioned above they are not perfect. It should be said that most of my fishing is on the Clack and D where I'm wading on rock all the time and where traction really matters so take this for what it's worth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X