No announcement yet.

Winter Steel Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have yet to make it out to the western rivers this year for steel, but I have had a few trips to the Deschutes. This last trip I landed my first steel of the year while fishing for trout. Picked up the beast nymphing with a kaufmann's stonefly on 3X tippet. The beast was a very healthy large hatchery female. On a previous trip I hook two steelhead in the same place but both spit the hooks. Hard to keep a steelhead on a size 18 pheasant tail. I was on the river on Sunday and the weather was very pleasant. Unfortunately I took a spill, and unlike Mr. Chin I got pretty well soakcd. Did not cook the cell phone this time, which was nice. Trout fishing was pretty darn slow. Landed two fish upon arriving immediately, and that was all for the day. Last weekend was much different. Cool and overcast weather made for plenty of BWO's on the water and plenty of receptive trout to hand.
    I should say, the vast majority of the Steelhead I have hooked and landed on the Deschutes have been in December, January, and February. I don't know why everyone spends all of there time fishing for Steel out there in the Fall months. Must be the weather.

Comment

My next opportunity is Friday. I was hoping to go to the Clack. However, the weather forecast is not optimistic. Sigh. Maybe Tuesday.
      aka Scott Richmond

Comment

• FinLuver
        FinLuver commented
        Editing a comment
        My smarter than me "sometimes" phone is calling for snow...

I got Ruby out and about....river was low and clear but I managed to eke out a couple of hookups although distracted by the high fives exchanged by myself and Ruby, they both came unpinned. I put on 10 miles for the day, so I can't even imagine how many miles she put on....

Comment

• Fuzzy
        Fuzzy commented
        Editing a comment
        Judging from the size of the stick, Ruby is an ambitious dog!

Hi folks,

I did what what is becoming an annual trip with Rob Crandall on the North Fork Nehalem yesterday, Got a late start due to the ice over here, but 26 was actually clear going over the hill and there was no snow or ice at all in Banks,
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.92 MB
ID:	9979

Name:	IMG_2223.jpg
Size:	6.17 MB
ID:	9977

FWIW. The river was very low, clear and cold, just barely runnable with the raft. No pressure at all as best I could tell. I think some fish had moved in since the little bump of moisture over the weekend. Fishing was really good with fish hooked on both beads and swinging. A great day in a wonderful place.

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg
Size:	7.03 MB
ID:	9975

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Size:	4.99 MB
ID:	9976

Last edited by DonT; 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

bump for post yesterday......for some reason it didn't register and move up

Comment

Nice!

Really want to float that one of these days...

Comment

Nice Don. I floated the NFN with Randy 4 years ago. It might even be 5 years. On that trip we went like 7/13. Crazy numbers for steel. Those guides know every little bucket. Randy tripped out of the boat with a fish on smashed his knee, and still landed the fish. Yes. I was laughing my a$$ off while asking if he was Ok. Hah!

Comment

• Clarkman
              Clarkman commented
              Editing a comment
              ah yes....and I did so with the grace of a drunken bear.

Great job Don!! Stop looks good.

cheers

Comment

That first fish photo appears to be a wild one. How about the second?

Rob runs a great winter program on the NF Nehalem.
              aka Scott Richmond

Comment

Yes that was a wild fish. Second was a hatchery hen. I had what we thought was another wild buck on that we got a good look at. It eventually came off but the others I landed were all hatchery stock. One of them went home for dinner.....
                Last edited by DonT; 02-08-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Name:	IMG_5801.jpg
Size:	735.9 KB
ID:	10171

Hit the Sandy & finally got one. It's been a long haul this year!

Comment

• Mr. Chin
                    Mr. Chin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice Dave! I've been enjoying some short couple hour stints on the Sandy swinging around Oxbow even though I've only had one tap-tap in 3 outings.

Me and my bobber-cator got a nice wild buck this weekend.

Name:	IMG_1786.jpeg
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	10175

Pretty lonely out there.

Name:	IMG_1795.jpeg
Size:	6.16 MB
ID:	10174

Fished for a half hour or so, then went exploring.

Name:	IMG_1802.jpeg
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	10176

One wrong turn later, my day went from awesome to not-so-awesome. Luckily, all it really cost me was some time and a little pride.

Name:	IMG_1837 3.jpeg
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	10177
                  Last edited by Doublebluff; 02-26-2019, 04:32 AM.
                  You don't need no gypsy to tell you why,
                  You can't let one precious day slip by.

Comment

Went fishing with Mr. Chin last week...we were greeted with a winter wonderland. Ruby the dawg had fun...until she didn't.

Comment

Where the hell has Lincoln been hiding?!?!?!

S.C.I.

Comment

• KillerDave
                        KillerDave commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He works at Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters

It's been a slower season for me -- from both a getting-out standpoint and a hooking standpoint. But I've found a couple pods this winter despite struggling to hit the conditions right. These are from my latest trip when I somehow managed to find a stretch of water that held several fish. Later in the day, I lost a much larger chromer right at my feet. Probably best for the fish (the hook pulled), but damn I wanted a photo with that one! I'm hoping to get out at least once more this season if we can find some rain that matches up with the schedule.

Comment

Working...
                      X