Sodden Thought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodden Thought

Due to various factors such as weather, lack of steelhead, family/home responsibilities, and general wimpiness, I have not done much winter fishing in January. Thus my mind has wandered in strange paths, such as the following.

1. Consider that people go to Starbucks for a caffeine beverage, then drink it while reading a book, typing on a laptop, etc. In other words, they consume a stimulant, then engage in solitary, contemplative activities.

2. Consider that people go to a brew pub for an alcohol beverage, then drink it while talking loudly to friends, cheering on sports teams, and generally whooping it up. In other words, they consume a depressant and engage in outgoing group activities.

Does this make sense? Shouldn't people be sitting alone and reading books and working on laptops when they go to a brew pub? Shouldn't Starbucks be installing party rooms and giant TVs tuned to ESPN?

Just wondering.
    aka Scott Richmond

On a related note, a few yeas ago I was getting ready for a meeting and a couple cans of Red Bull had been left on the table of the conference room as (probably) a subtle joke of some sort. One of my much younger colleagues came in and his first comment was "Hey, where's the vodka.....". I was then informed that this was the latest college party thing ......I was laughing for the next 5 minutes.

Comment

Fuzzy you need to fish!

Interesting thought though......when I see people at Starbucks all I can think about is how they can spend as much on one coffee as I do on a bag that lasts a couple weeks...

Comment

• Crawbugger
        Crawbugger commented
        Editing a comment
        Their conditioned.

• Scott Butner
        Scott Butner commented
        Editing a comment
        but here's the thing -- for some of us, we're paying for the experience, rather than the coffee. You're right, I can make a LOT of coffee for $4.07, which is what I pay for my iced single shot mocha.

But I'm also paying for the gossip with the barista about anything from local politics to mutual friends to pets; for the high likelihood of running into former work colleagues (when I still worked at the Lab, it was also the best place to "arrange" an impromptu meeting with middle management types -- their schedules might be packed but somehow they still managed to make the 7 minute drive down to Starbucks several days/week).

For me it serves the same purpose as the neighborhood bar does for those who imbibe in alcohol. I imagine that a beer is cheaper at the grocery store than your neighborhood watering hole, but the two places serve different functions.

• pigs
        pigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally get the social aspect, and I actually think Starbucks has very good coffee.....their Americano is very good, and typically whatever they are brewing at the moment is solid cup of coffee.....and I will on occasion, if it's on sale, buy a bag of their Sumatra, which is prolly my favorite......however, I refuse to order a tall or venti or whatever......I order in small, medium, or large

Up is down, left is right, good is evil. Nope that's how things are in this reality. But you can always ground out at the River or Lake.

Comment

next time you go have a flat white...

Comment

"For me it serves the same purpose as the neighborhood bar does for those who imbibe in alcohol. I imagine that a beer is cheaper at the grocery store than your neighborhood watering hole, but the two places serve different functions."
          Ya mean ya can't pick up babes at both??

Comment

Alcohol is a depressant and what it depresses is my ability to shut my big fat pie hole! I'm not depressed, my inhibitions are depressed...along with manners, good judgment, etc.

PS. Let's party!
            The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

I met my wife of twenty years at a coffee shop.....great place to meet “babes”......just sayin’
              Although I like Jim and Patty’s coffee shop in Beaverton, I really miss Coffe people that was in the same location.....lots of good memories!

James

Comment

Working...
              X