Surfperch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfperch

Hello all, My family and I will be staying in Manzanita for a few days this month and would love to try for surfperch. Any recommendations on local beaches to try, fly patterns, tips, tricks, etc?

Thanks for any info!

https://clackamasflyfishers.org/2018...shing-reports/

Comment

I don't know that section of the coast. Look for mole crabs, structure, rip currents,... and hope for calm seas. Small heavily weighted flies in pink or red work well. Also mole crab patterns with some orange in them are my favorite because they are cooler than a little pink jig. I use a 6wt with a long type 7 sink tip. Stripping basket is a must. This is the crab I have been using for years, but there are a lot of other options.

DOUG’S IMP CRAB       Hook: #4 or #6 Tiemco 811S or Daiichi 2546 or equivalent Thread: White Danville Flat Waxed Nylon Eye: 3/16″ or 7/32″ Spirit River machined brass hourglass, black Tail (telson): None (usually under the crab and not visible) Antennae: Pearl Sili Legs or other substitute Legs: Pearl Sili Legs or…

Comment

Looks like you're pretty well covered. I basically fish with two flies...the one in the picture in orange (as in the pic) or red. It's just chenille, marabou and dumbbell eyes. I've had days where one color clearly worked better than the other, but they both would still produce. Bottom line though, they don't have much time to be terribly picky but as long as you have one of those colors in there (mole crab eggs are orange) you'll be fine. Find mole crabs and there'll be surf perch somewhere around.

Comment

Is it just me - or is that fish crapping out another fish?

Comment

• Crawbugger
            Crawbugger commented
            Editing a comment
            Perch are Livebirthers.

BTW, surf forecast is biiiig for Friday
          The Catchin' Ninny

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. Hell, I don't think Chin would even surf that swell we've got coming....haha!

I actually prefer it when it's under 3', but certain spots can still fish up to 5', but things can get dicey in a hurry and it's just not worth the risk.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. Hell, I don't think Chin would even surf that swell we've got coming....haha!
              Here's a helpful site that rules the lives of many surfers. It may help you plan. Tides are for 12th Ave in Seaside. https://magicseaweed.com/Cannon-Beach-Surf-Report/313/

It does look giant for Friday! Fishing on any beach or jetty would be nuts at least for fly fishing.

Comment

Thanks so much all! We'll be sure to find something else to do Friday. I'll post a pic if we have any luck.

Comment

• Fuzzy
                  Fuzzy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A good plan: live to fish another day.
              Working...
              X